• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's a link on the StartEngine site. Look for the "offering circular" link just below the "Reserve My Elio" button.

And it says that the start of production begins at 12 months and is a three month process to build up to the full production rate. The whole spool up process and the many Elios built during those 90 days will have been completed by the March 2017 date, assuming everything goes according to that schedule.
And you are assuming the flow chart you reference starts around now? Or, back when Elio Motors first began their assessment of interest in the current offering? I won't ask about the distinction between EM having the capacity for full production, versus actually producing at full capacity since EM described that quite some time ago. :cool:

Phil B

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very misleading title on this thread and in your conclusions. They've always said $6800 was a goal, not a certainty. It's right there in the contract you signed when you reserved your Elio.
I agree and think the base cost will be close to $9000 so with automatic and a few other options the cost will exceed $12500 drive put.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Autobytel: "Literally the least-expensive new car here is the 2015 Nissan Versa Sedan, which sets the pricing pace among Nice Cheap Cars with an MSRP of $11,990. And rest assured, the Versa Sedan serves up a livable package right out of the box."

So... I don't agree with the 9K and 12.5K projections.

Phil B

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Autobytel: "Literally the least-expensive new car here is the 2015 Nissan Versa Sedan, which sets the pricing pace among Nice Cheap Cars with an MSRP of $11,990. And rest assured, the Versa Sedan serves up a livable package right out of the box."

So... I don't agree with the 9K and 12.5K projections.
I hope you are correct. To this point in time it is very difficult to believe Elio management. I know they are trying to keep everyone enthusiastic. Realistically, unless they get government money there is not enough money to produce this vehicle. They have given potential manufacturing dates several times and without proper funding this will happen again and again. Based on the original target manufacturing date, inflation is in play now. I have been all in for over two years and the date has changed 3 times.

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio motors has stated several times in the last year that the target of $6800 is something that they are still making efforts ot reach. And they have said that currently they would have to charge $500 more than that if the Elio was being built now. So Base of $7300. Nothing will be sat in concrete until production is about to start and they have locked in shipment of the first parts. Everything is or can be negotiated with suppliers until then. Note: Elio motors has not told us why they changed from Cooper tires being the supplier to Bridgestone... It could be that Bridgestone gave them a better price, or a better tire, OR both. In any case I like that Elio motors has and is sticking to their guns to try to reach their target of $6800.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the base price of at least the first few Elios will be $6,800. It is true they have legally said the price may not be $6,800, but in the court of public opinion, they would be guilty of misleading people and this would hurt them far more than the amount of money they would gain.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the base price of at least the first few Elios will be $6,800. It is true they have legally said the price may not be $6,800, but in the court of public opinion, they would be guilty of misleading people and this would hurt them far more than the amount of money they would gain.
The only people who would have even a slightly valid claim of having been misled would be those who put down a non refundable deposit. Even those folks, if they were literate in English should have understood that they were promised nothing. Not $6,800, not 84 MPG, not a car on a date certain. Having said that, if Elio provides cars at a $6,800 base price to those who are non-refundable and then raises the price $500 to subsequent buyers the court of public opinion would not have a case to work with.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio motors has stated several times in the last year that the target of $6800 is something that they are still making efforts ot reach. And they have said that currently they would have to charge $500 more than that if the Elio was being built now. So Base of $7300. Nothing will be sat in concrete until production is about to start and they have locked in shipment of the first parts. Everything is or can be negotiated with suppliers until then. Note: Elio motors has not told us why they changed from Cooper tires being the supplier to Bridgestone... It could be that Bridgestone gave them a better price, or a better tire, OR both. In any case I like that Elio motors has and is sticking to their guns to try to reach their target of $6800.
I thought EM said they were switching from Cooper to Continental, not Bridgestone?

Top Bottom