• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Washington Elio Gang Looks A Little Thin In The Skin

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Viaduck?" as Groucho Marx would have said. And almost certainly did say.
vi·a·duct
ˈvīəˌdəkt/
noun
noun: viaduct; plural noun: viaducts
  1. a long bridgelike structure, typically a series of arches, carrying a road or railroad across a valley or other low ground.
They're pretty popular around here. They tried to replace the Alaska Way Viaduct in Seattle with a giant tunnel, but several years in delays and millions of dollars over-budget put the kibosh on that. Then buildings started sinking.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They're pretty popular around here. They tried to replace the Alaska Way Viaduct in Seattle with a giant tunnel, but several years in delays and millions of dollars over-budget put the kibosh on that. Then buildings started sinking.
Believe it or not, I do know what a viaduct is. we even have an actual one right here in Cincinnati.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
She's called Big Birtha boring machine and now after a time, is up and running

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really? I thought they canceled the project altogether.
nope!, she hit a little something, piece of metal fill(?) that broke her. She can't go backwards, so the had to excavate in front to gain access to the cutting head. Only machine of it's kind, the lawsuits will probably take decades to sort out.
AND after it's finished will still handle the same amount of traffic as above- it's political (isn't everything) to allow further development of the waterfront. All the street exits/entrances are complete and sit there blocking traffic until they finish the tunnel- oh did I forget to mention Seattle is on a fault line, and the older building"s foundations have been comprimised along the dig - had a shake a few years back.
This is IMO the West Coasts' big dig (Boston)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
nope!, she hit a little something, piece of metal fill(?) that broke her. She can't go backwards, so the had to excavate in front to gain access to the cutting head. Only machine of it's kind, the lawsuits will probably take decades to sort out.
AND after it's finished will still handle the same amount of traffic as above- it's political (isn't everything) to allow further development of the waterfront. All the street exits/entrances are complete and sit there blocking traffic until they finish the tunnel- oh did I forget to mention Seattle is on a fault line, and the older building"s foundations have been comprimised along the dig - had a shake a few years back.
This is IMO the West Coasts' big dig (Boston)

Here is the story I had heard. I guess it was just a temporary halt(?) but when I heard the report over the radio I thought they were saying the project was canceled altogether.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the viaduck...
Groucho Marx had a TV show called You Bet Your Life. One of the standing gags was "say the magic woid and the duck will come down and pay you $50."

Once in a while a contestant WOULD say the magic word, and this silly looking wooden duck would fly into the set with a $50 bill in its mouth.

So, one day someone asked Groucho "why a duck". He riffed on it as only he could do, and you can guess the rest.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a retired CWO Coastie and have joined the group. I am in Richland, Wa.
Welcome from The Emerald City!!
you've arrived at all things Elio and a lot more.
FYI the "reservation #" you put up, might be a receipt number for your deposit. If you have gone all in with $1000 as opposed to want in (refundable) you will get a reservation number (SIL) spot in line. They usually come out every six weeks.
glad to have another from WA- some our most active members are from these parts!
Enjoy

Top Bottom