• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Watch Out! %#@&^& Zoomify Malware!!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Holy cow! I FINALLY got a malware/adware called ZoomifyApp contained. It's is IMPOSSIBLE to delete from your computer...digs in like a tick. Every site I checked was no help at all in getting rid of it, but I did, after two days of trying every possible thing, find a way to keep it from messing with my browser [totally by accident]. It's an add-on to a download I got while downloading a 'duplicate finder' software from CNET. I had tons of duplicate files and back up files hogging down my laptop, and thought CNET would be a safe place to get a freeware application. Little did I know that during the download, ZoomifyApp was added to my computer. EVERYTIME you click on ANYTHING an ad pops up telling you that your software needs updating, until your computer finally locks up. Kapersky and Malwarebytes could do nothing to stop it...I'd LOVE to get my hands on the people that create these nightmares!:mad:

Anyway, if anyone gets this malware, give me a holler and I'll try to walk you though what I did to quell it's affects.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have found all the malware I have gotten has come from CNET or Softronic downloads of programs I need (like 7-Zip, Duplicate file finder, IGES export for AutoCad, etc). Its not in those programs, but gets downloaded with it. I run Malwarebytes after every DL to help prevent it, but some things manage to slip thru.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had something like this happen to my Windows based PC. My installed anti virus program couldn't fix it and I was beginning to despair until I discovered a program called "superantispyware", downloaded for free, which found the malware straight away and deleted it. I've since installed superantispyware on all of our family computers; I thoroughly recommend it.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had something like this happen to my Windows based PC. My installed anti virus program couldn't fix it and I was beginning to despair until I discovered a program called "superantispyware", downloaded for free, which found the malware straight away and deleted it. I've since installed superantispyware on all of our family computers; I thoroughly recommend it.

Tried that very one...no luck! Probably 20 different "techie" websites too. This 'thing' is still "undeletable" on my computer...it's just 'caged' to where it doesn't mess with my web (I swear, it will drive you insane!). Still don't know, without a full format of the drive, how to get rid of it. Still looking. This is just a fair warning to anybody here that downloads from CNET, or any other, WATCH what's checked in all the fineprint BS as you're downloading. This thing's out there!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I googled it after Wheaters posted, I got it right at their site, www,superantispyware.com I ran a full scan, 40 minutes or so, and only came up with tracking cookies on my machine.

Don't know whether that should make me happy that I don't have bad stuff, or sad that it didn't find any.

Oh, be happy for sure! If you want to take ALL the joy out of getting on the internet, Google "ZoomifyAPP", and check it out. It seems this one's been around, but adapts to prevent you from getting rid of it. I'm no expert. And everything I know about computers is from having them since '93, screwing them up [real good sometimes], fixing them myself, or, if all else failed, calling a Techie buddy of mine...This one's got me stumped. Tried going after it from every angle I can think of. Hoping we might have some "Anti-hacker" types on the forum to give me some more ideas.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I googled it after Wheaters posted, I got it right at their site, www,superantispyware.com I ran a full scan, 40 minutes or so, and only came up with tracking cookies on my machine.

Don't know whether that should make me happy that I don't have bad stuff, or sad that it didn't find any.
I have superantispyware and Avast on all of ours. Super scans at night. This morning super had found and deleted 132 tracking cookies and malware. Avast scans for the hard stuff as it comes in. Only thing we use on all six computers and lap tops for last five or six years, never had a problem, KOW.

Top Bottom