• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Car You Have Owned Was, Is, The Most Fun To Drive?

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention Elio and Lit C1. I know there's discussion elsewhere, but since you brought it up:
  • Do you have reservations for both?
  • What are your numbers?
  • Which would you prefer?
  • Which do you think has a better chance of actually getting produced and when?
No reservation for Lit C1, harder to justify to the wife. I'm 10,223 for the Elio. Money no object and assuming Lit C1 can actually drive as we expect (as I understand it is not proven at speeds > 30 mph yet) I'd prefer Lit C1.

If I was a fly on the wall I would tell you which would be produced first.

Lit C1 never had a believable schedule to produce in my opinion, but I think by not shooting downmarket, it can get produced at $20-$24k a pop as projected and when compared to a Harley, not really a bad price for what you get. Apparently, Danny Kim does have funding to keep going but his idea is not proven by his own prototypes yet.

Elio, by shooting for the low market, needs high volume at the promised price point, and therefore I think in the end it might be too unrealistic and might be his undoing. My crystal ball says the US market for the Elio will never be 100k per year and world demand could be 250k per year. If my uneducated guesses are correct, or if the real #'s are even worse, can the Elio stay in business? I hold Paul Elio's vision in high regard and as a mechanical engineer I'm impressed with the current as designed product. I think he believes in his vision so much that he may be too inflexible to get the vehicle to market. But I agree with his vision/dream that America needs this vehicle so I understand why it is important to him to hold to low price, high mpg, good safety (at least as safe as any other commuter car) and mostly made in the USA.

I think Paul has cried wolf on the production the last time that he can without dooming the whole thing. However, if he is being honest with us (not just legally truthful) and no new uncontrollable bad things happen, Elios will start rolling off the line next spring far before the Lit C1 final prototype will even be completed.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No reservation for Lit C1, harder to justify to the wife. I'm 10,223 for the Elio. Money no object and assuming Lit C1 can actually drive as we expect (as I understand it is not proven at speeds > 30 mph yet) I'd prefer Lit C1.

If I was a fly on the wall I would tell you which would be produced first.

Lit C1 never had a believable schedule to produce in my opinion, but I think by not shooting downmarket, it can get produced at $20-$24k a pop as projected and when compared to a Harley, not really a bad price for what you get. Apparently, Danny Kim does have funding to keep going but his idea is not proven by his own prototypes yet.

Elio, by shooting for the low market, needs high volume at the promised price point, and therefore I think in the end it might be too unrealistic and might be his undoing. My crystal ball says the US market for the Elio will never be 100k per year and world demand could be 250k per year. If my uneducated guesses are correct, or if the real #'s are even worse, can the Elio stay in business? I hold Paul Elio's vision in high regard and as a mechanical engineer I'm impressed with the current as designed product. I think he believes in his vision so much that he may be too inflexible to get the vehicle to market. But I agree with his vision/dream that America needs this vehicle so I understand why it is important to him to hold to low price, high mpg, good safety (at least as safe as any other commuter car) and mostly made in the USA.

I think Paul has cried wolf on the production the last time that he can without dooming the whole thing. However, if he is being honest with us (not just legally truthful) and no new uncontrollable bad things happen, Elios will start rolling off the line next spring far before the Lit C1 final prototype will even be completed.
Thanks for the break-down.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I circle raced all GM, my favorite was a 67 'Cuda Formula S fastback. 383 4 spd.

I bought it from a friend who had no idea how to properly groom it. Took it home and went to work. A solid lift cam and rocker assembly, front and rear sway bars off a road runner, and a 11 inch aluminum flywheel. Tried a Holley manifold and carb, end up with a polished stock 4 barrel intake and rejetted AFB carb.
8 inch tread on all four corners, as I didn't want to rake it, nor cut it.
It cornered like it was on rails, did high 11s, low 12s in the quarter. I loved it!
I nearly went broke keeping it in U joints though....

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I circle raced all GM, my favorite was a 67 'Cuda Formula S fastback. 383 4 spd.

I bought it from a friend who had no idea how to properly groom it. Took it home and went to work. A solid lift cam and rocker assembly, front and rear sway bars off a road runner, and a 11 inch aluminum flywheel. Tried a Holley manifold and carb, end up with a polished stock 4 barrel intake and rejetted AFB carb.
8 inch tread on all four corners, as I didn't want to rake it, nor cut it.
It cornered like it was on rails, did high 11s, low 12s in the quarter. I loved it!
I nearly went broke keeping it in U joints though....
Where is it now?

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMAG0219.jpg
94 Z28 Camaro. LT1 motor and handled great. This car was like driving in a video game. Sold it to purchase my Avatar. And yes, this picture is of mine (well, used to be mine).

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That being said, my new Fiat 500 is fun to chuck around corners too, but not nearly as fast.

Fiat!!! Yuck!!!! Please tell me yours is turbo'd.......still not fond of them. Sold them at a fiat dealership. They would sputter if they sat too long. The turbo and Abarth models imo had a conservative tune. Could get them to backfire

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2 favorites are:
1988 rx7 with a 5.0 mustang engine. Trick flow intake, heads, cam. Handled awesome.

1986 civic si....lowered and boosted. Dynod at 325 hp. It was like a crotch rocket engine on a gokart. Nuts.....now it has a boosted lsvtec. Edelbrock intake, bigger injectors, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, moroso oil pan, bigger throttle body.....etc..

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fiat!!! Yuck!!!! Please tell me yours is turbo'd.......still not fond of them. Sold them at a fiat dealership. They would sputter if they sat too long. The turbo and Abarth models imo had a conservative tune. Could get them to backfire
Nope, needed a daily driver, the Abarth was $11000 more for just 60hp more (paid $14K for a sport model), didn't seem like a good deal. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems (no real problems anyway). I have 5 cars and this is the best on fuel for the commute.

Top Bottom