• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What If? - Elio Beyond 2017 . . .

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF is a big word, but take a look at the automobile industry as it stands today - and facing mandatory fuel consumption numbers in a few years. What are the big guys doing about achieving that required 54.5 miles per gallon for the 2025 model year? Thus far, not much. The industry seems to be counting on repeal of those numbers, or else a sudden shift to electrics, natural gas, or hydrogen fuels. Without a major shift in fuel infrastructure, these simply won't happen. Thus far there's no incentive for energy companies to do anything but produce motor gasoline. You don't see anyone rushing out to build electric charging stations or hydrogen dispensers on every street corner in America - and you probably won't - like it or not, mogas is hands-down the fuel of the coming generation.

I wouldn't bet GM, Ford, or Chrysler/Fiat on any kind of legislation - somewhere I'd want to hedge my bet. Elio, or something like it, can be built in a couple of years (by a major corporation) in volumes that could improve an automakers CAFE numbers to the point they could remain in business. Is THIS the ultimate fate of Elio Motors? . . . . acquisition by GM, Ford, Toyota, etc.?

Let's face it, in order to stay in the automobile business beyond 2025, EM would be the low-hanging fruit in any major automaker's quest to produce a super-economical car practically overnight. As an entry-level vehicle, designed for commuters, and marketed at a price every commuter could easily afford a safe, weatherproof transportation capsule that would boost the CAFE averages for a company intent on selling 5-passenger cars that aren't quite able to grasp that 54.5 across-the-board corporate average, the Elio would be a Godsend that would still allow them to produce Escalades and Grand Cherokees as halo products for their marques. Naturally the base price of their rebranded "Elio" would increase pretty dramatically - to probably $10-12K, with options that could bring the sticker price to a pretty appalling $23K or more.

Unaccustomed as I am to playing devil's advocate here, the acquisition of EM by any of the Big 4 or 5 would allow them to remain as a major player in the business by putting a fully-developed product in their showrooms that would earn them huge credits on the CAFE charts. A few hundred million or so would be chicken feed to one of these industrial giants, and it would effectively head off a whole lot of federal mandates and forced shut-downs.

The engineering is done, and there will be in a few years, plenty of proof-of-market products on the road. Elio will have broken the trail, developed a successful product, and proven that Americans will actually BUY small 2-seat commuter vehicles. The hard work will already have been done. A major automaker's assembly process would only have to be adjusted to fit their industrial culture. In a year or two of production, even those processes could be completely re-formed. Will we see an Elio (or something really close to it) with a Chevy bow-tie or a Ford blue oval on it by, say, 2020?

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF is a big word, but take a look at the automobile industry as it stands today - and facing mandatory fuel consumption numbers in a few years. What are the big guys doing about achieving that required 54.5 miles per gallon for the 2025 model year? Thus far, not much. The industry seems to be counting on repeal of those numbers, or else a sudden shift to electrics, natural gas, or hydrogen fuels. Without a major shift in fuel infrastructure, these simply won't happen. Thus far there's no incentive for energy companies to do anything but produce motor gasoline. You don't see anyone rushing out to build electric charging stations or hydrogen dispensers on every street corner in America - and you probably won't - like it or not, mogas is hands-down the fuel of the coming generation.

I wouldn't bet GM, Ford, or Chrysler/Fiat on any kind of legislation - somewhere I'd want to hedge my bet. Elio, or something like it, can be built in a couple of years (by a major corporation) in volumes that could improve an automakers CAFE numbers to the point they could remain in business. Is THIS the ultimate fate of Elio Motors? . . . . acquisition by GM, Ford, Toyota, etc.?

Let's face it, in order to stay in the automobile business beyond 2025, EM would be the low-hanging fruit in any major automaker's quest to produce a super-economical car practically overnight. As an entry-level vehicle, designed for commuters, and marketed at a price every commuter could easily afford a safe, weatherproof transportation capsule that would boost the CAFE averages for a company intent on selling 5-passenger cars that aren't quite able to grasp that 54.5 across-the-board corporate average, the Elio would be a Godsend that would still allow them to produce Escalades and Grand Cherokees as halo products for their marques. Naturally the base price of their rebranded "Elio" would increase pretty dramatically - to probably $10-12K, with options that could bring the sticker price to a pretty appalling $23K or more.

Unaccustomed as I am to playing devil's advocate here, the acquisition of EM by any of the Big 4 or 5 would allow them to remain as a major player in the business by putting a fully-developed product in their showrooms that would earn them huge credits on the CAFE charts. A few hundred million or so would be chicken feed to one of these industrial giants, and it would effectively head off a whole lot of federal mandates and forced shut-downs.

The engineering is done, and there will be in a few years, plenty of proof-of-market products on the road. Elio will have broken the trail, developed a successful product, and proven that Americans will actually BUY small 2-seat commuter vehicles. The hard work will already have been done. A major automaker's assembly process would only have to be adjusted to fit their industrial culture. In a year or two of production, even those processes could be completely re-formed. Will we see an Elio (or something really close to it) with a Chevy bow-tie or a Ford blue oval on it by, say, 2020?
Not in my garage/carport for two very simple reasons - price and dealership. The price would be out of my reach and I have absolutely zero interest in ever buying another car from a dealership. I don't appreciate being robbed and that is what it amounts to in my experience and in my absolutely not at all humble opinion. LOL :-) Z

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not in my garage/carport for two very simple reasons - price and dealership. The price would be out of my reach and I have absolutely zero interest in ever buying another car from a dealership. I don't appreciate being robbed and that is what it amounts to in my experience and in my absolutely not at all humble opinion. LOL :) Z
That's pretty plain.
Do you feel better now??

I'm not in the market for any more new cars, either, except my New Elio.
My '03 Sorento will do the heavy hauling until I retire. My 6 block, round trip, commute is not putting many miles on it.

creekstone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF is a big word, but take a look at the automobile industry as it stands today - and facing mandatory fuel consumption numbers in a few years. What are the big guys doing about achieving that required 54.5 miles per gallon for the 2025 model year?
Interesting idea, but...
Do auto manufacturers get credit toward the required standard if they have motorcycles (or autocycles) in their product line?

If so, Honda is set. And the other motorcycle manufacturers would be targets before Elio Motors.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question for Zelio...how do you expect to get your elio.? Are you going to the showroom or order it on line.? In 14 months from now, your automatic, cruise, trailer hitch and sat radio is easily going to be close to $10,000. If you get it at a showroom, you still will have to sit with a salesperson and order it. Oh, and the price is fixed, no negotiations at all. if the salesman says, your elio will be $9345 before taxes and lic. and document fees..are you going to say yes order it..? You are still going to pay about $800 for the auto, and $750 for the destination charges, and a small dealer prep charge to get your elio ready for delivery. Plus the other fees.!
Oh, and blackbird, people are still after all this time believing the elio will be $6800 delivered to the showrooms.
I do wonder if the elio is classified as a autocycle, you know every major manufacture will want to make one or buy a motorcycle company to get to the café numbers. If that happens, elio will just have several competitors right?
BTW, you folks keep forgetting Mr. Elio is a car salesman, he keeps his plaid jacket and his white belt in his office closet, but look closely, that gold chain is there.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, blackbird, you know I always look at the big picture right..It's 95 inches, high def and 3D hooked up to a Andrew jones 5.1 speaker system and a pioneer amp.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
7_17_4-1.gif
Probably your reality is like this.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting idea, but...
Do auto manufacturers get credit toward the required standard if they have motorcycles (or autocycles) in their product line?

If so, Honda is set. And the other motorcycle manufacturers would be targets before Elio Motors.
Well said. Plus, if they make "something close", it would have to pass all the crash tests, emissions, etc.

Top Bottom