• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We need to hear official Elio announcement like this (note, these are not official Elio announcements):

1. We have conducted an EPA test cycle and found that we get 49 city and 84 highway.
2. Crash testing has proven we are on our way to a 5 star rating.
3. Shreveport Factory updates.
4. 1st phase of 200K mile testing concluded at IAV.
5. Elio showroom locations picked and construction to commence this month.

These announcements show progress and that you are getting closer toward your goal. Even if you are going to start production in 2018, what matters today is a progress report with some meat in it. Having a pic at the NAIAS with people around the Elio display is not going to cut it. For anyone looking from the outside and not having exclusive knowledge of Elio, it looks like they are just sitting around, waiting and doing nothing.

Even when Elio gets to the point of production, the stock market will not be kind. They will want to know what the deliveries are. If you start making the product but 80% are stuck in rework, that's not good. Just look at VW. They started the production of the Atlas on December 16, 2016 in Chattanooga. As of today, you can't buy one. They are having all sorts of problems and can't release it to the general public. Thus (with all of the other problems that VW has) they were hoping for a bright spot and it is not working out. In the end, an established company that has been in production for a month and no deliveries. You can burn through a ton of cash by starting production and not getting cash flow due to deliveries.

In the end, everyone has to celebrate the accomplishments and understand the disappointments. It's a rocky road ahead.

Four of your five suggestions do nothing but show your ignorance.
1. EPA tests have to be done on production vehicle.
2. Crash testing. Requirements for five star have had major changes.
3. Maybe ...........
4. What 200K mile testing?
5. Show rooms: They could be end caps at a strip mall.
Pleasedo some home work.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Every manufacturer knows what the EPA test procedure is and they do it before the EPA ever sees the car. Elio could do this with what they have at the moment and know if they are close or not.
2. Every manufacturer knows what the current crash test procedure is. Thus, they do it themselves before NHTSA ever sees the car. I'd think that Elio would have done this by now.
3. Plant prep does show progress and will shut up the local media and politicians in Shreveport.
4. You can't build an engine and that's it. Manufacturers know that they have to do testing for durability and things like emissions (right now it's 150K for emissions testing). Companies like Roush have a facility dedicated to durability testing in Detroit. They have engines from various manufacturers on automated dynos. They produce so much heat, that they use it to heat a few of their buildings. Who here wouldn't want to hear of a durability test. If you are using your Elio as a daily driver and keeping it for 10 years, you sure don't want the engine to give up the ghost 50K into your ownership. Even existing manufacturers get it wrong with engines. Expecting Elio to get it right is unrealistic.
5. Since the show rooms will be at strip malls, wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of announcement of where these will be? It shows progress and buyers beyond the 65K can go look at, touch and maybe drive one, that would be a benefit.

Then, you pretty missed the point of my post. You need milestones reached, progress shown, deadlines met. This is how the real world operates. I was giving realistic milestones that Elio could let people know about. They advertise some of these specifications and having a press release to show that you met it, goes a long way and then it puts all of the naysayers asleep for a while. If not, don't expect to see the stock take off and speculative news to persist.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the spirit of RSchnieder's post, if not the specific details. I think he's correct in that for the stock prices to rise, and for Elio Motors to be *perceived* as making significant headway, they need to post significant news. They've been dribbling out small amounts, supplier relationships, E series being sent out for testing, etc. for quite some time. Some big news would be nice, like definitive test results, or the production of more E series vehicles. I'm wiling to wait patiently, of course, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see some big signs of progress.

As for specifics, they *could* test the E1c, or whatever other model, for EPA mileage, but would be worthless, as they do not have a production or equivalent vehicle. I understand that the DoE requirements can be satisfied with industry standard simulation, or even a prototype. But that's not quite the same thing, and the calculations/results are different. They have already stated that their simulations are over 81mpg, and I've been told that this is sufficient for the DoE's mileage criteria.

As for crash testing, the Elio *cannot* get a 5-star rating with the current NHTSA testing, as some of the tests simply cannot be performed as written on the Elio. In addition, they don't have the vehicles yet to do the testing. All they have is a bare handful of one-of-a-kind prototypes, and maybe three of the E series? (Two being tested, one being toured.) One of the goals of the E-series was to do some engineering validation and testing, and then crash some of them after the testing was done.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There's one other thing that RSchnieder needs to know:

Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated with Elio Motors.
With all these great ideas he has, he need to contact Elio Motors and tell them about it.
Saying it here will not change anything there.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's one other thing that RSchnieder needs to know:

Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated with Elio Motors.
With all these great ideas he has, he need to contact Elio Motors and tell them about it.
Saying it here will not change anything there.
And that, dear readers, is also reality. :becky:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What makes you think that I haven't emailed them some ideas.

You guys need to not get off of topic as I was giving generic examples. You have to look at it as potential investors since it became a publicly traded company. We can get into all of the details of the EPA and NHTSA testing but unless you have something that the average investor sees as progress, you are pretty much spinning your wheels. Investors in the stock market are not going to come here to see the excitement and use that as a decision tool. You can have lots of fans and reservation holders but in the end, if Elio would go away, it's not a big deal. That's why for the stock to go up, there needs to be value added to the company. As of now, this is the value that the stockholders see in it. Its a reality that people are supporters get upset about because they can't understand why investors don't see the company they way they do. There are times I've had to pull out of investments because even though I loved the idea, I found out it wasn't going anywhere soon. Investment is risk taking but if you do it blindly or driven by emotion, you'll end up broke.

For Elio, the ball is in their court and the know what is going on. They have financial advisers telling them what to do, but in the end, they are advisers. The company doesn't have to do what they say. Right now as for stock, they are in the doldrums.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. EPA tests have to be done on production vehicle.
2. Crash testing. Requirements for five star have had major changes.
3. Maybe ...........
4. What 200K mile testing?
5. Show rooms: They could be end caps at a strip mall.
Pleasedo some home work.
He didn't say the EPA tested it (because they won't till they can randomly pull from dealer stock). He said they ran the EPA test cycle. That's something anyone can do.

As to the rest of your issues, he was just giving his opinion on what would constitute some good news. Hearing that Elio was in the middle of testing the engine out to 200K would be better than the huge void of info we currently get about the engine.

I guess that horse got beat a little. Anyway, I think we all get the gist by now. One question. I keep hearing that Elio can't get a 5 star crash test rating because it can't be tested. Why not? Surely things like the frontal offset would be difficult, if not impossible, but the ratings are on different tests, right? Perhaps Elio could do the frontal crash test, side hit, rear hit, roof strength... etc...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One question. I keep hearing that Elio can't get a 5 star crash test rating because it can't be tested. Why not? Surely things like the frontal offset would be difficult, if not impossible, but the ratings are on different tests, right? Perhaps Elio could do the frontal crash test, side hit, rear hit, roof strength... etc...
We were told that was the plan a while ago... To have an independent company crash test a couple of the e-series vehicles.
Problem is, there just aren't enough e-series vehicles to go around, and there isn't any money to build any more at this time.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He didn't say the EPA tested it (because they won't till they can randomly pull from dealer stock). He said they ran the EPA test cycle. That's something anyone can do.

As to the rest of your issues, he was just giving his opinion on what would constitute some good news. Hearing that Elio was in the middle of testing the engine out to 200K would be better than the huge void of info we currently get about the engine.

I guess that horse got beat a little. Anyway, I think we all get the gist by now. One question. I keep hearing that Elio can't get a 5 star crash test rating because it can't be tested. Why not? Surely things like the frontal offset would be difficult, if not impossible, but the ratings are on different tests, right? Perhaps Elio could do the frontal crash test, side hit, rear hit, roof strength... etc...

The last I heard the test had been modified to require something like autonomous collusion avoidance systems for stupid people, err ah pedestrians. That would mean less than perfect without it.
It really sucks trying to hit a moving target. (like the ATVM requirements)
And let's face it, when you don't have to pay for it you can pull any wild test requirement idea out of your ass. No matter what the cost. And not all of us make over $100K / yr like a lot of the folks in DC.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty --- The reason the Elio can't be safety test for the "5 star rating" is because of the tandem seating. Part of the test procedures call for a test dummy a certain weight in the driver's seat with a second test dummy of a certain weight seated in the passenger seat beside the first. Beside not behind. Supposedly the procedures are in the process of being amended to cover tandem seating in autocycle configuration vehicles. As of right now it's no joy on the "5 star rating".

Top Bottom