• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Typical SEC Filing for a start-up...see Tesla... Go Elio Motors!!!

Tesla isn't a good comparison. For instance, they had already built and sold a product before their IPO. They also built the Model S from scratch in 4 years. That is, they announced it in 2008, showed a prototype in 2009, and delivered their first in 2012. They had also bought the NUMMI factory where they build their vehicles. Far less of the Model S was "off-the-shelf" parts, as well.

Anyway, I realize there aren't many recent successful automotive companies to compare Elio to, but there are some very stark contrasts between Tesla and Elio.

This is not meant to be overly negative, it's just that looking to Tesla to assuage concerns about Elio's SEC filing isn't a good idea.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla isn't a good comparison. For instance, they had already built and sold a product before their IPO. They also built the Model S from scratch in 4 years. That is, they announced it in 2008, showed a prototype in 2009, and delivered their first in 2012. They had also bought the NUMMI factory where they build their vehicles. Far less of the Model S was "off-the-shelf" parts, as well.

Anyway, I realize there aren't many recent successful automotive companies to compare Elio to, but there are some very stark contrasts between Tesla and Elio.

This is not meant to be overly negative, it's just that looking to Tesla to assuage concerns about Elio's SEC filing isn't a good idea.
There is no comparing Elio Motors to Tesla Motors. Tesla Motors was an established vehicle manufacturer using the ATVM loan to scale production by expanding manufacturing facilities. Elio Motors is a new start up vehicle manufacturer 'wannabe', with no product to sell that would like the ATVM loan to START production. Both companies are what they are with totally different business models, no comparison for now...................

But let's all assume Elio Motors will score the additional funding needed to build autocycles, allowing them to follow in Tesla Motors footsteps on the path to success. That would make for an ultimate comparison of the two ccompanies.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Not quite right. But mostly.

Tesla basically was a "rebranding" organization from 2005 - 2011 as Lotus provided "gliders" which were cars without drivetrain. All Tesla did at that point was put badges on the cars, made some interior parts, and put in an electric drivetrain. THEN, they started production of their own cars. For Elio to follow in their footsteps, they'd have to let someone else provide "gliders" for 6 years and then in 2022, they would build their first complete Elio. Yeah, I don't want to wait around that long either! The Tesla story is a neat one to read. How many times did they do emergency funding to ward off bankruptcy? Five times. Five rounds of funding were required and by the fifth round, they had only delivered 147 cars. Mercedes and then Toyota ponied up $50M each for about 10% each of the company to keep it afloat after those 5 rounds of funding. THEN, Tesla got $465M from the ATVM. They make neat cars and I've read that they may turn a profit this year for the first time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I want to know is, Q4 of '16 is almost over. When are the 100 starting? Have they even finished the first 5 of the E series? Have they even started on the 13 of the next batch? I know things are moving slower than all of us were told 6 months ago, but they need to get better on their time frames. I know this isn't an easy process. I guess this the downfall of saying your plans and then they get extended out...

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elon Musk is Iron Man, who is Paul Elio ?

Wolverine!

51kg5TsjbfL._SL160_.jpg

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not quite right. But mostly.

Tesla basically was a "rebranding" organization from 2005 - 2011 as Lotus provided "gliders" which were cars without drivetrain. All Tesla did at that point was put badges on the cars, made some interior parts, and put in an electric drivetrain.

That's a common misconception...if the word of Elon Musk is worth anything.

http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-admits-the-tesla-roadster-was-a-hack-job-1576534929

A bit more information:

Some have suggested that the Tesla Roadster is built on a Lotus chassis. This is not true. Tesla licensed the Elise chassis technology, but Tesla’s UK-based chassis engineering team designed the Roadster’s chassis using that technology. The suspension and occupant protection systems are very similar. But here are a few key differences:

1. Tesla re-engineered the main chassis rail extrusions, making them stronger and thereby allowing us to lower the doorsill height by 2 inches, drastically improving ingress/egress. (Elon and I are both more than 6’ tall, so improving ingress was a requirement!)
  2. At the same time we changed the way the chassis rails bend just behind the seats. Lotus simply bends the rails. Tesla instead miter-cuts the rail, then bonds them together at the exact correct angle with a custom bracket. This solution works with the new extrusions to lower the sills, and reduces manufacturing complexity.
  3. We eliminated the box section that surrounds the gas tank on the Elise. The Tesla Roadster achieves equivalent (actually slightly higher) stiffness with the structural box that encloses the battery pack
  4. We designed a unique rear sub-frame, to accommodate a battery pack and electric drivetrain rather than a gas tank, engine, and exhaust system
  5. We lengthened the Tesla Roadster’s wheelbase by 2 inches – rearward of the seats, giving us a tad more room for the battery pack, shifting the weight forward to keep the distribution reasonable, reducing ride choppiness, and giving the car a little more sophisticated look
  6. We beefed up the composite crash structure at the front (one of Lotus’s clever innovations) to accommodate the higher weight of the Tesla Roadster
  7. The suspension geometry is identical to that of the Lotus, though we strengthened many components, again to accommodate the increased weight
  8. We use larger brakes – both front and rear
And of course, our engineers extensively modeled the new Tesla chassis starting with the computer models so carefully built by Lotus. We are right now proving what the computer models told us through harsh durability and safety testing on real cars. So far, things look good. (Though very painful to slam brand new cars into a concrete barrier!)

https://www.tesla.com/blog/lotus-position

Last edited:

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Typical SEC Filing for a start-up...see Tesla... Go Elio Motors!!!
Sorry... didn't mean to dog on it so hard, nearly shut down the thread, the details are different for each of the start ups I've invested in the past and present (XTI). But the consistent thread throughout has been the consistent threat of bankruptcy and being a going concern and potentially ceasing operations...and yet here we are...Tesla survived... Elio Motors is on the cusp of something gamechanging...stay tuned...and tell everyone about ELIO... including your local politician:oops::banplease:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom