• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is The Latest Start Production Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_2300.PNG
My Christmas list is small. Santa Paul, all I want for Christmas, is my Elio. Christmas 2017 that is. This Christmas, all that I want is a commitment from Paul!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 12034 My Christmas list is small. Santa Paul, all I want for Christmas, is my Elio. Christmas 2017 that is. This Christmas, all that I want is a commitment from Paul!
Another year of prospecting time, in them thar hills, to replenish your gold/silver stash.

If you get that committment gift from Santa Paul, not a very long wait at all.

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not quite right. But mostly.

Tesla basically was a "rebranding" organization from 2005 - 2011 as Lotus provided "gliders" which were cars without drivetrain. All Tesla did at that point was put badges on the cars, made some interior parts, and put in an electric drivetrain. THEN, they started production of their own cars. For Elio to follow in their footsteps, they'd have to let someone else provide "gliders" for 6 years and then in 2022, they would build their first complete Elio. Yeah, I don't want to wait around that long either! The Tesla story is a neat one to read. How many times did they do emergency funding to ward off bankruptcy? Five times. Five rounds of funding were required and by the fifth round, they had only delivered 147 cars. Mercedes and then Toyota ponied up $50M each for about 10% each of the company to keep it afloat after those 5 rounds of funding. THEN, Tesla got $465M from the ATVM. They make neat cars and I've read that they may turn a profit this year for the first time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors
Tesla turned a profit last quarter,$22 million, their first ever, but overall for the year, they are down.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM does not require to be debt-free, but does require them to be financially viable without the loan.
Nope. Totally wrong. We've been over this a couple of hundred times. Marshall's got it right.
" Be financially viable without the receipt of additional federal funding for the proposed project."
Key word is "additional". That means Be viable WITH the loan but not a cent MORE from federal government beyond the loan.
It DOES NOT mean that they need to be viable WITHOUT the loan. Why would anyone need the loan if that were the case?

All they have to do is convince the DOE that the loan will get them to the place where they're viable and able to pay the loan back.
Again, I use the word loan, but it's actually loans from private institutions and not directly from the DOE.

All the DOE does is guarantee (insure) the payback of those loans by placing markers in the amount of pennies on the dollar.

Oh yeah. Of course the vehicle also has to meet the requirements of the guarantee program to qualify.
And just my opinion, but I venture that having the vehicle US compliance certified would go a long way with the DOE.
I don't think EM's ready for that yet either.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Tesla turned a profit last quarter,$22 million, their first ever, but overall for the year, they are down.
Back a few pages, I posted this:
"Agreed, this thread has drifted far enough from the topic.
Drop the Tesla comparison, or I'll be forced to close the thread."

http://www.elioowners.com/posts/172818/

Officespaced this applies to you too; let it go

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_2270.PNG The way that I see the Elio. I think that it will be the hottest thing to hit the market ever. With two seats, 80 plus miles per gal., and a range of over 650 miles , and all of the other goodies that it has. Not to mention the price tag $7300.00. How can it not be,If it does make it to production. I can't see how it can survive much longer if something doesn't happen soon,and by soon I mean 2017! Just my humble opinion

CHUCK G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Back a few pages, I posted this:
"Agreed, this thread has drifted far enough from the topic.
Drop the Tesla comparison, or I'll be forced to close the thread."

http://www.elioowners.com/posts/172818/

Officespaced this applies to you too; let it go
I second that. Please drop all of the NON-ELIO topics. I spend more time reading crap then what is important to Elio.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I second that. Please drop all of the NON-ELIO topics. I spend more time reading crap then what is important to Elio.
Here Here; the reminder I posted in post #287 was strike two; strike three means the thread gets locked (even if you think you're just joking around).
And if it is a repeat offender they will be dealt with accordingly.

Lets drop the discussion that doesn't apply to the Elio.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom