• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Side Should The Door Be On?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with the elio's center line seating, i was thinking that a hud would be a nifty and functional alternative for an instrument panel. just to give u that aviation feel when driving. i suppose that after a while, it would just feel like the longest high speed taxi u ever did.
You can use an old smartphone with HUD speed, GPS, compass, whatever you can find an app for. been using that for speedometer for awhile now in my truck simce the speedo is broken.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with the elio's center line seating, i was thinking that a hud would be a nifty and functional alternative for an instrument panel. just to give u that aviation feel when driving. i suppose that after a while, it would just feel like the longest high speed taxi u ever did.
Yeah that's it. We're just all "Terra Pilots". that;s it.

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I HAVE contemplated the question of what it would take to make an Elio fly. Should be almost light enough. Throw on some wings, couple props on the front wheel drive shafts.......
I HAVE contemplated the question of what it would take to make an Elio fly. Should be almost light enough. Throw on some wings, couple props on the front wheel drive shafts.......

well, u don't want to have another ford pinto disaster but because of the weight locations of the elio, it doesn't lend it self to being made into a flying vehicle without some major adaptations. first u need to define the performance parameters and then design the aeronautical components around those dimensions. there is no way to make it meet lsa requirements so a pvt/sel would be the minimum pilot certifications. the ability to have it convertible and be able to tow its own airframe is probably not feasible. taking it through certification would too expensive so maybe u could get it approved for experimental category certification. just the ac components to make it into an ac would put the cost over fifty thousand bucks for engine, airframe, instrumentation, communications and any safety items like brs. then some sort of integration of the flight control system to work with or in addition to the automotive type controls of the vehicle. finally, all of the ac components would probably weigh at least as much as the original vehicle, so would the suspension support that much extra weight and landing loads? it would also require some extra frame components be added, for mounting the ac parts to the elio frame. the most practical configuration would be a high wing with strut bracing and some sort of a tail cone for mounting the elevator and rudder. i tell ya, i keep seeing a Cessna 337 flying components with just the rear engine, mounted onto the elio vehicle frame, very similar to the flying pinto of yore.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You always mount a horse on the left, I've always got on my bike on the left side, (maybe some psycological hitch or something), and you get into your car to drive on the left here in the US. So probably the left WOULD feel the most natural for the Elio door.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You always mount a horse on the left, I've always got on my bike on the left side, (maybe some psycological hitch or something), and you get into your car to drive on the left here in the US. So probably the left WOULD feel the most natural for the Elio door.
Yes. And if it were on the right, there would be nothing to open to reach the drive thru window?

Top Bottom