• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Was Your First Car?

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't prove this, but I have witnesses. My very first car was a 1964 Jaguar E Type roadster. In 1971 My folks wanted me to get rid of my motorcycle at 16 because of all the accidents they saw on the news. My dad took me to lunch and said "your mom and I are worried about you on the bike, you sell the bike and we will chip in for a car. What kind of car do you want" I said "a Jag" He laughed and then we looked in the newspaper and sure enough a 1964 Jag for $1100 running and driving. I got $300 for my 1971 Honda CL100 and got the Jag for $1000. The car was a lot of trouble with the lucas electrical system, so my dad made me sell it and my second vehicle was a 4 WD 1964 International Harvester Scout. As aerodynamic as a brick! Scout the Americas the other pass by!

What was your very first car?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
When I was about 10 yrs old (1973-4), we had an IH Scout. Heater didn't work for a while, I'd ride to school with Dad who was a school counselor. Co-oh-oh-old ride in the winter! Good to know someone that drove the ol' brick!

My first was a '72 Ford LTD 4-door. Nicknamed "The Boat". White with dark brown soft-top. It had an after-market cruise control previously installed on it when I bought it in 1981 for $400. Anyway, if you were driving 30 mph, and clicked resume, the 400 cu. in. engine would about throw you in the back seat.

As most will say with any car of fond memory, I wish I had that car now. :D

Edit: 400 cubic inches, for those too young to have experienced the big engines, is a 6.55 liter equivalent. LOL!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't prove this, but I have witnesses. My very first car was a 1964 Jaguar E Type roadster. In 1971 My folks wanted me to get rid of my motorcycle at 16 because of all the accidents they saw on the news. My dad took me to lunch and said "your mom and I are worried about you on the bike, you sell the bike and we will chip in for a car. What kind of car do you want" I said "a Jag" He laughed and then we looked in the newspaper and sure enough a 1964 Jag for $1100 running and driving. I got $300 for my 1971 Honda CL100 and got the Jag for $1000. The car was a lot of trouble with the lucas electrical system, so my dad made me sell it and my second vehicle was a 4 WD 1964 International Harvester Scout. As aerodynamic as a brick! Scout the Americas the other pass by!

What was your very first car?

My first car was a red 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 which I bought for $1500 in June of 1961.
What is referred to a a Longbridge Healey.
I do miss that car.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1970-something Ford Pinto that my dad bought me. Only had it for six or seven months before some bozo pulled out in front me so I ended t-boning him. It was banged up but still drivable. A few week later I headed for USAF Basic Training and my dad sold it since my first assignment was overseas.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The car was a lot of trouble with the lucas electrical system, so my dad made me sell it and my second vehicle was a 4 WD 1964 International Harvester Scout. As aerodynamic as a brick!

Your first two cars were both legendary icons! If you'd kept them both and in good repair you could have retired at a young(er) age. (Living in Hot Springs I presume you already are. My parents are in the Village. :D)

First car was The Brown Whale: 1979 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser 9-passenger station wagon, complete with faux wood paneling. Fantastic, gigantic mamoth-mobile unmatched for utility by any "SUV", "Crossover", or any other sad excuse for a modern wagon.

When I took The Whale to college, I could legitimately carry nine people inside and two kegs of beer on the roof rack to the beach!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm7.staticflickr.com%2F6185%2F6092841260_1afc4a7a3e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must be the young'n in this group :p My first car was a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue, and like many have said, "I miss that car".

That said, it is still up on blocks at my parents house, waiting to be repaired. Shortly after I blew up the motor (apparently, cars need oil changes every now and then?) I bought a replacement engine for $1000. The car sat for several years, until my dad accidentally broke the new engine while trying to install it for me. Several more years have passed, and it's sitting on blocks (it's front tires having been scavanged for emergency tire replacement over the years) and waiting for a tiny aluminum piece to be re-welded onto the block so that the tension wheel can be re-attached.

The cloth interior is still in great condition, though! I'm playing with the idea of making it an EV conversion project. Once I have money.

Top Bottom