• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Will Be The Primary Use For Your Elio?

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will replace my Subaru Forester for all but heavy hauling, like my monster lawn mower to the shop. I'll use the Elio for all local running around (and there's lots of it, as I sing in 2-3 different choruses, none near my home). Trips with the wife -- her hybrid camry. Trips by myself -- the Elio, assuming it doesn't beat the crap out of you on long drives.(TBD)
I hope we have ability to open all windows. Would not want to miss the singing.

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My Elio will be my daily driver, letting me take my little yellow del Sol off the road for a much-needed overhaul. She's got 265,000 miles on her now, so by the time our Elios start arriving there's no doubt that I'll be doing an engine swap. My daily commute is 32 miles each way if I only drive to work and back, more if I run errands. The Elio will save me gas money even though I currently get between 33-38 MPG in the Sol, and will do it in a way that gives me more peace of mind given that it'll be new!

AlliedBldg

Reaction score
Just made my reservation yesterday. I have been wondering what other people plan on using their Elio for and why they bought it. It's such a new concept in America that it's fascinating to ponder how people will put it to use. So I'll start with who I am and how we will use it.

I'm the Owner of Allied Building Contractors in Roxbury VT. We are a Design/Build General Contracting Company. We have a keen focus on energy efficient building techniques and building science - those concepts are incorporated, in some way, into every new construction and renovation/remodel we do. I have often thought about the juxtaposition of the focus of how we build buildings with me driving around a full size pickup that gets 16 MPG. When I became aware of the Elio it was the perfect solution. 75% of the time I am alone in my truck (as most contractors are) carrying nothing but some files, a laptop, and perhaps a few small tools in the back seat. I put on almost 20k miles per year and trucks are not inexpensive to chew through every 3-5 years. Roughly calculating my travel to and from job sites, meetings with clients, and other associated travel I figure the Elio will pay for itself in 2 years. It will certainly begin some visibility to our business in a way that is consistent with our beliefs about building structures. It will also increase the longevity of my truck which will be relegated to trips only when needed for it's hauling or towing capacity - which reduces the need for more trucks to be bought in the future (conservation). If the Elio proves to be functional and effective, it will be a pretty easy choice to offer to employees as a fleet company vehicle. Most carpenters aren't living the high life and a benefit like a company car that costs them very little to operate will be an excellent use of the vehicle.

Now what's your story?

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am just going to use it to haul ass! Round trip for work is 75 miles.

I am happy that it will get great mpgs, but I just want it for the fun factor. I hope it gives me the enjoyment I get from riding my bike but without the hassles. I don't need all the bells and whistles but it will be nice to have.

I am more of a windows down stereo up kind of guy!

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't see the Elio providing the same experience as my bike, even if it is technically classified a motorcycle. Nor can it duplicate my Miata with the top down, and it certainly can't fly like the planes I built. However I think it will provide it's own unique level of enjoyment. Can't wait to pull into a random car show for the first time. Aside from daily errand running I think it would make an inexpensive cross country traveler. It can certainly carry as much as my Miata or my plane and a lot more than my bike and I've camped with all of them - so why not the Elio?

Top Bottom