• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Will Be The Primary Use For Your Elio?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
AlliedBldg, Welcome to ElioOwners.com! :)

It is great that you are so interested in this vehicle and it fits your business goals. We are very glad to have you here and are glad you were wiling to put down some of your hard earned money to make this happen. As someone who has spent the last 18 months running a green business I have also often thought about the irony involved in the fact that my company builds solar power generation trailers which end up being towed across the country by large fossil fuel burning pickup trucks. I think it is great that the Elio will provide your business with realistic solutions which demonstrate your commitment to environmentally sound building while simultaneously providing cost savings.

You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading about and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

We have a survey we like reservation holders to fill out if they wish as it really helps us visualize the growing numbers and locations of future Elio Owners. For now information visit this link: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-reservation-map-and-survey.1129/

We also have a thread for our many current and former service members to introduce themselves. If that applies to you visit this thread:http://www.elioowners.com/threads/military-service.1118/

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just made my reservation yesterday. I have been wondering what other people plan on using their Elio for and why they bought it. It's such a new concept in America that it's fascinating to ponder how people will put it to use. So I'll start with who I am and how we will use it.

I'm the Owner of Allied Building Contractors in Roxbury VT. We are a Design/Build General Contracting Company. We have a keen focus on energy efficient building techniques and building science - those concepts are incorporated, in some way, into every new construction and renovation/remodel we do. I have often thought about the juxtaposition of the focus of how we build buildings with me driving around a full size pickup that gets 16 MPG. When I became aware of the Elio it was the perfect solution. 75% of the time I am alone in my truck (as most contractors are) carrying nothing but some files, a laptop, and perhaps a few small tools in the back seat. I put on almost 20k miles per year and trucks are not inexpensive to chew through every 3-5 years. Roughly calculating my travel to and from job sites, meetings with clients, and other associated travel I figure the Elio will pay for itself in 2 years. It will certainly begin some visibility to our business in a way that is consistent with our beliefs about building structures. It will also increase the longevity of my truck which will be relegated to trips only when needed for it's hauling or towing capacity - which reduces the need for more trucks to be bought in the future (conservation). If the Elio proves to be functional and effective, it will be a pretty easy choice to offer to employees as a fleet company vehicle. Most carpenters aren't living the high life and a benefit like a company car that costs them very little to operate will be an excellent use of the vehicle.

Now what's your story?
Welcome. VT, in which I've spent a great deal of time over the decades, remains my favorite state. Attitudes like your are part of the reason!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't see the Elio providing the same experience as my bike, even if it is technically classified a motorcycle. Nor can it duplicate my Miata with the top down, and it certainly can't fly like the planes I built. However I think it will provide it's own unique level of enjoyment. Can't wait to pull into a random car show for the first time. Aside from daily errand running I think it would make an inexpensive cross country traveler. It can certainly carry as much as my Miata or my plane and a lot more than my bike and I've camped with all of them - so why not the Elio?
If it can carry a medium duffel, a tripod, and a smaller (but heavy) backpack full of camera gear, it's all I need for a week or two. But I'd be VERY leary of driving it on roads better suited to my Forester. Just not designed for that kind of beating.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Just made my reservation yesterday. I have been wondering what other people plan on using their Elio for and why they bought it. It's such a new concept in America that it's fascinating to ponder how people will put it to use. So I'll start with who I am and how we will use it.

I'm the Owner of Allied Building Contractors in Roxbury VT. We are a Design/Build General Contracting Company. We have a keen focus on energy efficient building techniques and building science - those concepts are incorporated, in some way, into every new construction and renovation/remodel we do. I have often thought about the juxtaposition of the focus of how we build buildings with me driving around a full size pickup that gets 16 MPG. When I became aware of the Elio it was the perfect solution. 75% of the time I am alone in my truck (as most contractors are) carrying nothing but some files, a laptop, and perhaps a few small tools in the back seat. I put on almost 20k miles per year and trucks are not inexpensive to chew through every 3-5 years. Roughly calculating my travel to and from job sites, meetings with clients, and other associated travel I figure the Elio will pay for itself in 2 years. It will certainly begin some visibility to our business in a way that is consistent with our beliefs about building structures. It will also increase the longevity of my truck which will be relegated to trips only when needed for it's hauling or towing capacity - which reduces the need for more trucks to be bought in the future (conservation). If the Elio proves to be functional and effective, it will be a pretty easy choice to offer to employees as a fleet company vehicle. Most carpenters aren't living the high life and a benefit like a company car that costs them very little to operate will be an excellent use of the vehicle.

Now what's your story?
Welcome :)

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We live out of town. A trip for a loaf of bread, run a grand child to school, sport event in a least a 26 mile round trip.
No big deal really but the gas alone does add up. Enter ELIO one person trip town and back haul Granddaughter to an event prefect. Once the first one is home and it works with in reason I will place an order for a second.

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
And, unless they were swing-out, would cause major problems with the roll cage, add weight, and add a lot of cost. Think!
I love this idea, as I've had these on an old Mazda truck and they REALLY helped with the ventilation! Pop `em open when you want, latch `em closed when needed without the weight or expense of a roll-up window!

Top Bottom