1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

What Would It Take To Go Electric Elio?

Discussion in 'Elio Drivetrain' started by XanWolf, Jan 3, 2019.

1. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Roush did not build the cars. That was someone else. I can tell you that from my experience, there's no way Elio would have had the knowledge, manpower and software to make a unibody. So, someone had to design it and Roush has the ability to do it. Again, a coincidence that the one company that has the ability to do this, gets an announcement right after the $16M was raised and then this whole complete new car was introduced.

All you have to do is look at all of the screen shots Elio made late in 2016 and 2017. There was a major change in the design of the car. It went from a small homebuilt to a polished production unit. Elio has $57K in computers and software. So, a single software license for what Elio shows on the screenshots would easily cost $30K for all of the advanced surfacing that they have. Plus one guy could never do it by himself because there's nobody on the planet with that ability. Maybe a group of 5-6 but not 1. So, that's easily $80K in just software licenses and expect $30K in computers. In the end, someone designed a brand new car in about 3 months and all fingers point to Roush.

I suggest you go to Detroit and see the Roush facility. Once you do, you'll see that they have more than enough ability to do what Elio needed in the timeframe the demanded. I would also say that it needs a few more revisions until it is released for actual production tooling (not prototyping tooling which is what has happened to this point). Plus Elio will have to make some actual steel body panels because as of now they have not. That requires the same type of advanced surfacing which Elio does not have.

As for the $2.5M, I bet they threw about $300K to Roush just to get what Pat suggested (using an off the shelf motor).

You can believe what you want but the engineer in me sees much more experience and knowledge put into the Elio design ever since Roush was announced as an engineering supplier. before that, it looks like something I'd do in my house with $20K in software and a $5K computer. Trust me, you don't want me designing a high volume production car from scratch and think I can do it right. I know when yo wave the white flag and hire that out.

wizard of ahs, Maurtis and ehwatt like this.
  2. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

My belief is based on EM’s own reporting, not assumptions and bets.
    From EM’s SEC Filing 12/31/2017:
    6204AC5D-A212-4D27-ADEF-334F29183A22.jpeg
    ESG Engineering (Paul Elio & Hari Lyer partnership) was paid millions for the Elio vehicle design, engineering, and strategic operations while
    contracting with Technosports Creative to build Elio prototypes (P1-P5) and thee engineering prototypes (E1A, E1B,E1C) and certain other manufactured parts with no mention of Rousch Engineering. You are correct in saying that if Rousch Engineering had been involved we would be in a totally different place.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Have you ever seen ESG or their facility? ESG has been operating out of a residential home for years and moved out of their last address in 2010. As for Technosports, they are not of the same ability as Roush.They are great at building those special prototypes but not close to Roush. Also, you see no other mention of the other companies that Elio has paid. Someone did all of the molds, wiring harnesses, etc. Even Aisin, Hyundai and Linamar have been partners and no mention of them. They had to of done something. So not every company is going to me mentioned in detail as to what they have done. I do know this, in 2016, Elio spent way more on engineering than they did any other year (even combine all of them and 2016 beats it). So, Roush is one that is great at what they do buy you better be ready to spend because they deal with big corporations thus they charge the appropriate rate.

Again, Roush will only work when the money is there. If you are a company like Elio, you will be doing a net 30. Go past that, they will let you go a few times and after that, it's prepay.

4. Sethodine

Sethodine Elio Addict

Not related to the current discussion, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents about an electric Elio.

Firstly, just make it single engine, FWD like other modern 2WD EVs.

Secondly, it will have to wait for the next generation of batteries to mature. Tesla, Dyson, and several other companies are pursuing solid state batteries with lower production costs, lower safety issues, and higher energy density. Solid State batteries will allow an Elio EV to keep costs down while having long enough range to be useful. I expect it will be five years before we see these batteries in production cars, but Tesla just bought Maxwell Electronics in order to aquire their battery tech, so they might announce something much sooner.

Personally I think an electric Elio would be lots of fun to drive, but I am still looking forward to the Gas version (for when I want to go further than my Leaf can go).

ehwatt likes this.
  5. pistonboy

pistonboy Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    7761, 16,070
    Maxwell Technologies is also involved with supercapacitors which can both provide and absorb very high currents, higher currents than batteries. Supercapacitors can supply high currents for fast acceleration and absorb high currents from regenerative braking. Power passes between the supercapacitors and batteries at a rate the batteries can accommodate. Maxwell Technologies is already contracting with a European auto company to do just that. Thus Tesla gets a company that already knows how to do this.