• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Would Paul Do?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right, the Nissan Canada website says $10,500, which in USD is around $8k. But AFAIK you cannot buy them from the dealers in the US, right? How much to buy one in Canada and bring it over? For $8k, I really like the little Nissan. I would prefer an Elio of course, but...

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Right, the Nissan Canada website says $10,500, which in USD is around $8k. But AFAIK you cannot buy them from the dealers in the US, right? How much to buy one in Canada and bring it over? For $8k, I really like the little Nissan. I would prefer an Elio of course, but...
Does not cost anything to bring over. Made in Mexico, and Canadian vehicles comply with US standards. The big difference is that the speedometer is in metric and had DRL's. I brought three vehicles over the other way and did not have to pay duties, even when none of them were made in North America.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does not cost anything to bring over. Made in Mexico, and Canadian vehicles comply with US standards. The big difference is that the speedometer is in metric and had DRL's. I brought three vehicles over the other way and did not have to pay duties, even when none of them were made in North America.
That's not true. You can bring over something that is 25 years old or something that is sold in the US and Canada (you still need to do some conversion and get an OK from the manufacturer that it in fact is the same as the US model). As for Mexico, forget it unless it's over 25 years old. NHTSA even has a list of cars that are under 25 years old that are allowed but still need further conversion. I can tell you for a fact, most Mexican vehicles will not pass US safety standards. I just rented a VW in Mexico. No airbags, TC or ABS. That will never pass anything in the US unless you made it a three wheeler.

With the past and current exchange rate, people in the US would be rushing over to Canada to buy new cars. So far a few have but they always run into issues plus there's zero warranty.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's not true. You can bring over something that is 25 years old or something that is sold in the US and Canada (you still need to do some conversion and get an OK from the manufacturer that it in fact is the same as the US model). As for Mexico, forget it unless it's over 25 years old. NHTSA even has a list of cars that are under 25 years old that are allowed but still need further conversion. I can tell you for a fact, most Mexican vehicles will not pass US safety standards. I just rented a VW in Mexico. No airbags, TC or ABS. That will never pass anything in the US unless you made it a three wheeler.

With the past and current exchange rate, people in the US would be rushing over to Canada to buy new cars. So far a few have but they always run into issues plus there's zero warranty.
I was referring to Mexican made. The car meets Canadian standards. Canadian standards are same as US with the exception Canada requires DRL's Metric first speedometer and a third point connection for a car seat.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was referring to Mexican made. The car meets Canadian standards. Canadian standards are same as US with the exception Canada requires DRL's Metric first speedometer and a third point connection for a car seat.
Nope. It depends on the car. If the Micra is sold in the US and Canada, then you need to make sure it's OK from the NHTSA. Most Canadian cars are the same as US but unless you make sure it is, you will have some issues. Nissan has been selling the Micra for a while and due to it's price, there should be a bunch of them in the US, yet there is not. Why do you think that is?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMHO, the better question would be: If an American company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $18k, and a Chinese company took the Elio concept and built a fuel-efficient gas 3-wheeler from scratch with an MSRP of $12k, which would you buy, if either?
First off, I don't see a Chinese ever building an Elio. People need to stop thinking that the Chinese can do it all. They can do many things but building an Elio is not in anyones interest there or here. The Elio would never work in the Chinese market and unless the Elio was electric, they have less than zero interest. For an American to go there to get them to build an Elio, it could happen but that's easily 2 years out.

Then there's another problem. People are hardwired on a $7450 Elio that's ICE, has a 3 year 36K mile warranty, Pep Boys service and warranty. So, unless it meets those specs, the Elio will not do well. Paul told us that he can do it and make $1k per car with 20% on accessories. So that's all people know. They also know the average price of an Elio will be $10,700, so that's fine and they accept that since Paul said it. At this point, when you throw out a set of specs, you must do it. People hate change and Paul has the 4 musts which for many means, it's a forgone conclusion.

It's up to Paul to mow live up to what he hardwired in everyones brain. If he doesn't, many will be mad and thus the project a failure.

I just spent the last 2.5 weeks in China. One for a conference on Americans getting things built in China and the other visiting customers. So, forget about China doing this.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope. It depends on the car. If the Micra is sold in the US and Canada, then you need to make sure it's OK from the NHTSA. Most Canadian cars are the same as US but unless you make sure it is, you will have some issues. Nissan has been selling the Micra for a while and due to it's price, there should be a bunch of them in the US, yet there is not. Why do you think that is?
I think that the profit is too low. One loaded pick up would probably make more money than ten Micras.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Over the last 10 years. Why have not Elio Owners used this as a stopgap solution? $8K for a brand new 4 seater ICE. It doesn’t get Elio documented mileage but it helps to buy it as opposed to the $30K gas hogs we are forced to buy. It’s a massive profit due to the price and mileage. With new option, everyone here go to Canada and get your semi Elio. In 76 weeks you can sell it.

Top Bottom