• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're damn right man,the new fenders are the worst fender of the century.Top that with the ugly headlight and the boxy rear,the dream car is now a P.O.S. People think they can make 84 MPG all the time & anywhere.No, wake up! it's on the highway and it is when there is no wind,the asphalt leveled like a pool table,no load and at a certain MPH and again not in all weather conditions & blah,blah,blah.Maybe in a NASCAR circuit not in the city streets & traffic.They promised the gas saving in a rush and now they have to screw up the car to reach that 84 MPG.The back is now more like a coffin.What Elio showed us in the green P3 is all gone.And who will be driving a 3 cylinder on an interstate at 100 MPH continuously? try it for 45 minutes and it'll catch fire if not the wind that goes inside the full fender will flip you over like the old VW.100 MPH is the redline for those kind of Mickey Mouses.Only a rookie or an old school will drive around in a P5 body style.Let us have what drove us to join them even it consumes a lil more.
We'll well. I like the P5, all of it. Probably because I'm an old fart and a pilot, so I appreciate the aerodynamic styling.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it had much of a drag then all these drag race & Formulas cars wouldn't be without fenders.If they use rounded fenders then their car will flip over because of the wind going under.Imagine what will happen with this ugly full fender the Elio scientists are trying to install on a once perfectly designed car.Ever driven a VW Beetle? that's what their problem was.Hydroplaning & air turbulence at high speed because of the rounded front fenders they have.At 65 MPH on an open road the front brakes start getting helpless once the wind is under this stupid full fender so releasing the gas pedal will be the only solution to grab the asphalt but that single third tire at the back will make it worse.

You do understand that a drag car only travels above 50 mph for around 1/6 of a mile at a time and has little to no concern over fuel consumption whatsoever.

Also on other open wheel race cars pit time for tire changes are priority over aero, both of which also take a back seat to downforce. Downforce actually hinders top speed and fuel consumption but it's more important to be able to turn with the added traction the downforce provides than to achieve top speed or make fuel last.

If you want to see aero hard at work in a racing environment look at cars from the salt flats or a plane from the air races.

2012_Bonneville_Salt_Flats_Buick.jpg

bernardo-red-bull1.jpg

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only a pencil-pushing geek will fret when his Elio only gets 73mpg on the interstate...tell me I am wrong and I will know which ones of you are in denial that you are a pencil-pushing geek.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps, if you have to drive in slush and some., but friction from the tires/wheels will keep them open enough for the wheels to turn. and since the fender turns with the tire and wheel, who cares. If it is nasty, I'll drive the 4x4.

drbob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps, if you have to drive in slush and some., but friction from the tires/wheels will keep them open enough for the wheels to turn. and since the fender turns with the tire and wheel, who cares. If it is nasty, I'll drive the 4x4.
you are right. but the problem with the full fenders is when you park for a while the brakes will get wet and freeze. I fly airplanes in the north country and I always take the fairings off before winter to avoid wheel freeze up during flight

drbob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am a pilot for the department of natural resources in Wisconsin and do wildlife monitoring all winter. It kind of makes me a bush pilot.. I got caught playing doctor in first grade and my nickname has been Dr.Bob ever since. I still play Doctor however so I guess I could very well be a bush doctor.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you are right. but the problem with the full fenders is when you park for a while the brakes will get wet and freeze. I fly airplanes in the north country and I always take the fairings off before winter to avoid wheel freeze up during flight
Good point, I used to fly until my hearing got so bad that they grounded me. Miss it a lot so now am reduced to Ultra lights and since I find myself in Oklahoma with the wind here, well it looks like I'll stay grounded.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a pilot for the department of natural resources in Wisconsin and do wildlife monitoring all winter. It kind of makes me a bush pilot.. I got caught playing doctor in first grade and my nickname has been Dr.Bob ever since. I still play Doctor however so I guess I could very well be a bush doctor.
double intender intended??????

Top Bottom