• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking the Elio plant would just make mine with the prowler fenders as an option...

probably will be a choice they certainly cost less to make than full fenders. I would have put panasport wheels on the front but I do like the full fenders. So full fenders for me. Prowler for you

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wheels on F1 cars are fully open. They may be more aerodynamic if completely covered, but are gorgeous fully exposed and evidently does not affect the aero that much.
Wheels make the vehicle; covering them up just kills the beauty of the vehicle, IMO.

F1 cars are not aerodynamic at all. Wheels covered or not. If F1 cars were aerodynamic, they would not handle too well. The wings create tremendous downforce.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
F1 cars are not aerodynamic at all. Wheels covered or not. If F1 cars were aerodynamic, they would not handle too well. The wings create tremendous downforce.

If Red Bull was given no rule limits it would look like this.
x2010-redbull-7.jpg

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if they would look as cool as your picture but the "look"is driven by the Sporting Regulations aka the rules. That and cubic $. With the entry cost of an Elio you can buy in and still have a few bucks to make it your own if you feel the need.

I don't have a problem with any of the Elio goals. There are many alternatives on the market today. You can buy supercar performance for the street. All you need is a fat checkbook.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score

from 2012
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/new-technology/f1-drs-less-drag-more-passing-1
From link above
"I calculate this F1 car's coefficient of drag, its CD, to be about 0.98. With DRS invoked, this diminishes to perhaps 0.81.
Given that drag coefficients of production cars are in the 0.25–0.35 range, these values may seem huge. But remember that they're inherent in achieving an F1 car's downforce and 3g-plus cornering."

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
from 2012
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/new-technology/f1-drs-less-drag-more-passing-1
From link above
"I calculate this F1 car's coefficient of drag, its CD, to be about 0.98. With DRS invoked, this diminishes to perhaps 0.81.
Given that drag coefficients of production cars are in the 0.25–0.35 range, these values may seem huge. But remember that they're inherent in achieving an F1 car's downforce and 3g-plus cornering."

The key to F1 is controlling and managing drag. They want airflow to be smooth and not turbulent which keeps the car well balanced while at the same time providing the necessary downforce, in the just the right places, to allow for some amazing car handling. Engineering this aerodynamic balancing act is extremely difficult not to mention expensive.

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The key to F1 is controlling and managing drag. They want airflow to be smooth and not turbulent which keeps the car well balanced while at the same time providing the necessary downforce, in the just the right places, to allow for some amazing car handling. Engineering this aerodynamic balancing act is extremely difficult not to mention expensive.
Been a long time since physics class but; for Elio owners driving around town and doing short daily (or otherwise) cummutes the fender design won't be buying you much and they could be replaced with just about anything that is street legal. For distance driving at reasonable highway speeds, the "new" design will noticeably affect milage. The "new fender" isn't very new if you look at fixed gear aircraft designs (mostly older than a lot of us). Even Piper and others figured out that wheel fairings greatly reduced drag and made planes go faster! Therefore, even tho I'm not keen on the looks, if that's what EM produces, that's what I'll be heading home with!

Top Bottom