• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reading through some old posts on another forum, I recalled the discussion here on the possibility of fitting run-flat tires to the Elio was illuminating, to say the least. Maybe some of the experiences of others will be useful when considering putting run-flats on your Elio.

First of all, run-flats can be expensive - at least the big ones are. OK on a $70K Lexus they might not seem like a big deal, but for most of us, about $500 per tire (in large sizes and premium brands) gets unreasonable pretty fast. Smaller tires such as those that would be fit to the Elio are only about 20% - 25% more than OEM grade. TPMS are almost required with run-flats - otherwise if they are performing as advertised, you might not know you're running on a flat tire. Given the Elio's light weight, YMMV.

Many people bought the Lexus SC 430-series convertible that due to space limitations in the trunk with the top folded, didn't come with a spare, but four run-flats on the ground. One forum member said he had to make a choice, with the top down he could either carry his golf clubs or a spare tire. Sounds like a first-world problem.

The biggest concern with run-flats is the rough ride they deliver. They are heavy, and if unsprung weight means anything to you, they are probably the worst solution possible to a minimal problem. The stiff sidewalls telegraph every pebble in the road to the suspension. The SC was particularly vulnerable to these shortcomings for two reasons - first it was sold as a luxury marque and with all of the sophisticated engineering that went into cosseting the driver and passenger in silky comfort, the RF's just grated like fingernails on a blackboard. Second, with some pretensions of performance, a low 2+2 with a V8, it didn't handle particularly well at the limit. Again those stiff sidewalls made the car handle more like it was shod with bias-plies as the tread would lift from the road surface at the inside of the corner, meaning your contact patch was decreasing as side loads increased. Not a good sign.

People thought they were buying a smooth, quiet, high performance convertible in the Lexus mode, but many were extremely disappointed with the product. The solution was simple: chuck the RF's. With a set of Pirelli P-Zeros or Michelin Pilot Super Sports fitted, the car performs very well - and is smooth as glass, the jitters of the old stiff sidewalls gone for good. OK, you don't get to carry a spare, unless you throw an undersized "temporary" spare in the trunk. Nice looking kits for this are available, but run about $700 - $800. Better buy a generic from Costco for about $30 and just throw a towel over it in the trunk. Most SC owners opt instead for a plug kit and/or a 12v compressor/slime dispenser like this one available from Continental: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38 or http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70004-Power-Spair-Repair/dp/B000YMP1SA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412627449&sr=8-2&keywords=conticomfortkit

But there might be a better solution, depending on your area. Join an auto club. The card is lightweight and travels in your wallet, taking up no room in the trunk. Only one caveat comes with that membership, you may need a lot of patience to go with it. One of my forum friends reported this morning that his son locked the keys in the car at Universal Studios Orlando Sunday evening - they determined to call the auto club about 45 minutes before they planned to leave the park. It was about 2 hours before AAA showed up. That's not typical in Houston. Four hours is more like it here the last few times I've called them for road service.

That I think that the ContiComfortKit's the direction I'm going to pursue for my Elio.

Last edited:

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've done my own research on this, it's advertised at one tyre place I've used in the past. Seeing as my aircraft has its tyres filled with nitrogen and we have a portable nitrogen inflation kit in the hangar for this purpose, I could do it for free. My personal thoughts on it.....not enough advantage in my case to even bother, not for a car. I have my own mains electric air compressor installed in my garage at home and will continue to use that instead. I've never had a problem with using air.

However, I might just borrow the jet oxygen kit and give the interior of the car a quick shot or two before I set off for home after work. That should give me a feeling of well being, before facing the traffic, at least temporarily.

I should add a caveat to my nitrogen use. I have my own tank, that I have been pulling on for over 2 years without refilling. I so rarely have to add to my vehicles that it's a no brainer for me. Lots of pluses with my collection of rolling stock.
Dusty

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
great discussion on nitrogen. Thanks to everyone who posted links. So, the conclusion I have come to related to the use of nitrogen is: It depends on your "individual" circumstances. For me personally, it comes down to dollars and cents. I don't have access to "free" nitrogen, and I don't have to pay to use a convenience store "fill station" (compressor at my home shop). So, the way to best improve my tire life and mileage is: stop carrying all of the unnecessary "junk in my trunk" .........:D........mine AND my car's. :p.....about a hundred pounds (combined) :( :)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do we know yet what the actual front wheels will look like?

I do hope they are not too plain, as I may well be changing the front fenders for something more open, like a cycle fender.

Because the "cost" of everything is so important to keeping the final price on target, I will guess that they will probably be nothing fancy.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Do we know yet what the actual front wheels will look like?

I do hope they are not too plain, as I may well be changing the front fenders for something more open, like a cycle fender.

I would not expect anything more than standard steel wheels to keep the price down with other nicer wheels being available as options.

Top Bottom