• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have driven by many four wheel drive vehicles stuck in snow or in the ditch. I know from experience that I can get were I need to go without four wheel drive and the added expense of it. I don't drive off road and I am very familiar with driving in snow as I do it 5-6 month a year, Proper snow/winter tyres work better. I have driven through entire winters with all season tyres and, although I can do it, it is needlessly difficult. I am also certain I do not wish to lay in the snow four times a day installing and removing chains. My current pickup cost $500, a new F150 4wd costs north of $40K, more than my house, and get 13 mpg - ridiculous - unless one works on a farm, is rich or more likely, is "compensating".

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Goofyone and thanx. I listed those sizes because those were what I searched for based on this sites reports that EM will likely fit 135/xx-15's as front tyres. With 70/30 weight distribution and FWD I can't think of a reason a wider rear tyre will be needed, but it seems the engineers found one - lateral loading perhaps... Regardless, I am aware that replacement hinges on clearance and diameter (rev/mile) - the big problem being the only snow/winter tyre currently produced in an appropriate size is made by a company (Dunlop) I will never purchase from and that I would in the strongest terms, discourage anyone from supporting.
If Cooper does not produce a full-on snow/winter tyre in the size(s) that EM finalises, I will remove the front fenders and run 155/7X-15 mud and snow type tyres - a size I believe to be widely available (or upsize until availability and selection exist).
No snow/winter tyres is not an option, I would not be able to get to the state highway many days in winter without them. My current non-motorcycle is a '99 S-10 pickup 4cyl 5spd 2wd with 4 mud&snows. It's fine until the snow gets more than 10-12" deep, at that point I stay home anyway. I could keep it running indefinitely (150K now) but the rust rats have gnawed the body rather severely.
So I (not so) patiently await my new motorcycle with a roof, which, like the Ural I was also considering, must have snow/winter tyres (but will have a roof and heat as well).

Sounds like a pretty good plan.
I am fortunate to live in a part of the country where snow is not a huge issue. On average, only a few "measurable" snowfalls per season, and schools close when there is even a hint of snow in the forecast.:rolleyes: ICE however, is a bigger issue.
For me, snow tires don't make economic sense. I figure, $100/per tire + $50/per rim (extra set just for the snow tires) + mount and balance, puts the cost at around $500...for 5 to 10 "snow days" per year. Since the tires will "dry rot" before they wear out, they'll need to be replace (about) every 5 years. So, $100/year, or $10-$20/day added to my "cost of ownership." And because I am too lazy to put the "snows" on every time snow is in the forecast, I would probably just leave them on for most of the winter & suffer the lower mpg's every day.
Because the Elio will be an "and" for my family, I will be better off driving my Geo Tracker on those days. Cost added: $0 Yes, lower mpg's, but only for those rare days. :) just my 2 cents

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the topic of tires, This seems a good place to ask the question; How much total payload it the Elio rated for including passenger and driver. I did a word search for payload that produced a post from Snick that indicated a payload of 250 kg. That would indicate 550 lbs payload. Does this sound correct?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
On the topic of tires, This seems a good place to ask the question; How much total payload it the Elio rated for including passenger and driver. I did a word search for payload that produced a post from Snick that indicated a payload of 250 kg. That would indicate 550 lbs payload. Does this sound correct?

I do not believe we have been given any official weight ratings or really any official estimates for this. The only thing I can think of is that Elio Motors has said they have designed the vehicle to safely carry 2x 220 lb people plus some gear in the trunk so 550 lbs for payload may be a good estimate.

Top Bottom