• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Per the press release issued by Elio on 11-13-15, Continental will be the tire provider. The specific tire will be a Pro Contact GX with the fronts being 135/80 R15 and the rear being 175/65 R15. According to the press release, replacements will be available thru Pep Boys and/or any tire retailer that handles Continental tires. No special tool or equipment will be needed to mount. balance or install.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Tire specs are on elios website now but as with the other specs, could be subject to change. I really wanted the P3. but have to go with the flow. I also hope the gauges go back to needles instead of those goofy keyholes.
It's been stated in many different threads, the Elgin dash (the goofy keyholes) is the dash you will be getting in the Gen1 production Elio's; period.
They are not going to change it or offer a second choice. We had a few members from Elio Owners at the Detroit auto show (which is going on now) talk to the Elio team and they have confirmed that the Elgin dash is the way it is.
If you want something different, you'll have to change it after you take ownership of your Elio.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tire specs are on elios website now but as with the other specs, could be subject to change. I really wanted the P3. but have to go with the flow. I also hope the gauges go back to needles instead of those goofy keyholes.
Big welcome from the Evergreen State, you're in a good place for everything Elio,
Perhaps, you might get to bid at the auction when E has reached it's 500,000 sales ;-)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been stated in many different threads, the Elgin dash (the goofy keyholes) is the dash you will be getting in the Gen1 production Elio's; period.
They are not going to change it or offer a second choice. We had a few members from Elio Owners at the Detroit auto show (which is going on now) talk to the Elio team and they have confirmed that the Elgin dash is the way it is.
If you want something different, you'll have to change it after you take ownership of your Elio.
We should find a way to embrace the Elgin and incorporate it into more aspects of the Elio. For example, the door handles and refueling hatch can all be made with a round face/keyhole design. In fact, with a bit of ingenuity and some sizable bribes to NHTSA and DOT, even the windshield could be designed with a rotating keyhole. Just to make driving that much more interesting.

In fact, the Elgin could very well be the next wave of industrial designs. Can you imagine a toilet bowl with a rotating keyhole? Now that's cutting edge.

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The idea of all three tires being the same size makes sense from an expense stand point both production and replacement. It also makes sense to me to have the rear tire wider than either of the front two for better traction in cornering and weight distribution. I think what ever EM finally chooses will be the best choice. As far as flats, I think I might consider caring a can of Fix a Flat. Just my 2 cents.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The idea of all three tires being the same size makes sense from an expense stand point both production and replacement. It also makes sense to me to have the rear tire wider than either of the front two for better traction in cornering and weight distribution. I think what ever EM finally chooses will be the best choice. As far as flats, I think I might consider caring a can of Fix a Flat. Just my 2 cents.

You'll likely see 2 different tire sizes front to back. There will likely be owners who change rims to accommodate the readily available 175 65 14's

I recall some Metro owners changed hubs and rims to upgrade from 155 12 to 155 80 13 since the 12's are difficult to find.

Top Bottom