• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know that. I asked whether the 27 mpg (that the 84 mpg is 3x of), is also hwy or city or combined.
I'm not sure but I suspect it is combined. My "commutes" are combined interstate and local (about 2/3-1/3 respectively) and I get 28-30mpg on my 1999 Camry. I rarely do only interstate or only in town driving because I live out of town and I live about 1 1/4 miles from the interstate. I'm not sure how the combined mileage is figured but I have heard the figure of 60mpg for combined somewhere. :-) Z

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a fair bit of talk from the Elio camp about how they're tweaking this or that trying their damnedest to get to 84 mpg. Don't get me wrong, gas mileage is a good thing and all that, but do we have any idea what's so magical about 84? I'd rather the car come out tomorrow with 75 mpg than see them experience delay after delay because they're hell bent on some arbitrarily chosen number.
84 sounds magical to me. Has it ever been done before in a production vehicle? (That didn't involve two wheels and a chainsaw motor.)

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Questioned EM this morning about "when they plan to post the NEW weekly numbers, and this was their reply:

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jul 09 12:13

Hey bob-
Thanks for getting back to us.
Our reservation numbers are constantly in flux, and we update them pretty regularly on our website. We will be updating the counter soon!

Best,
The Elio Team

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Questioned EM this morning about "when they plan to post the NEW weekly numbers, and this was their reply:

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Jul 09 12:13

Hey bob-
Thanks for getting back to us.
Our reservation numbers are constantly in flux, and we update them pretty regularly on our website. We will be updating the counter soon!

Best,
The Elio Team

In other words, they will post them when they post them. I am sure the constant fluctuation makes them, uhm interesting to work with. LOL :-) BTW I did check (for about the millionth time) before signing on just now and no they had not been posted.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read that there isn't a single public transportation system in the U.S. that is self sufficient. Busses and trains are underutilized, that is for sure. Unfortunately, when everyone is driving electric cars, they had better be the off road version because zero road tax from gas sales = no repairs.
We currently have tolls to support special roads, bridges, etc. but still have gas tax. So, people who pay tolls are getting double-digit taxes already. We have to go to a different system if we are going to continue to fund road repairs at our current level in the face of increasing mileage and fewer gassers.

We have to go to a different system if we are going to continue to fund road repairs at our current level in the face of increasing mileage and fewer gassers

:eek:Vehicle miles traveled tax
Let's hope it only spreads to NM.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the measurement of vehicle miles of travel, see Vehicle miles of travel.
A vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax, also frequently referred to as a VMT fee, mileage-based fee, or road user charge, is a policy of charging motorists based on how many miles they have traveled.

It has been proposed in various states in the United States and elsewhere as an infrastructure funding mechanism to replace, or supplement the fuel tax,[1] which has been generating billions less in revenue each year due to increasingly fuel efficient vehicles.[2]

In the United States, a VMT fee currently exists as part of a limited program for 5,000 volunteers in Oregon and for trucks in Illinois.[3][4] Internationally, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Switzerland have implemented various forms of VMT fees, limited to trucks. New Zealand also has such a system applying to all heavy vehicles and diesel-powered cars. France, Belgium and Russia all have truck based systems under development.:(

Top Bottom