• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it's been mentioned, but where are the mpg figures coming from? Are the test designed to simulate EPA or NEDC cycles? Or hypermiling experimentation?

Elio Motor's published valued reflect expected results based on the EPA test cycle.

Based on the DOE test cycle used for aquiring the ATVM loan, the Elio would be expected to get around 95 mpg.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motor's published valued reflect expected results based on the EPA test cycle.

Based on the DOE test cycle used for aquiring the ATVM loan, the Elio would be expected to get around 95 mpg.

I keep hearing about the EPA and the DOE test cycles.
I know the EPA. It is published. ---> https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml <---
But does anyone have a URL for the DOE test cycle?
I'm just curious.
Two different standards don't make a lot of sense.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. . Oddly, the “alé” looks like a reincarnation of the "Dale" with updated styling.

dale_2-620x350.jpg

Note the similarity of the name . . . and probably the same kind of hucksterism out searching for investors.

The dale basically looks like all 2F1R full body autocycles if you ignore all the style lines that differ. -This like that- subjective comparisons are pretty much in the eye of the beholder, you see what you want/or/expect to see. When you can change the metric, you can change the result.

For me the dale looks clumsy and not very much like anything else in the world at all. But then again it does have a basic car profile as all car bodies do.

Some have even said it looks like the Elio. Not to my eyes.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant for the concept/experimental vehicles people are posting.
Yup, have to always check the details. It's not always stated. Sometimes even suppressed to hide the cheat.
The WWU/Vikings are tested in real-world conditions city/highway without hypermiling (no surging power - no coasting to a stop), The speedster was tested at something crazy like 130mph. Elio will be required to quote EPA testing standards which are somewhat unrealistic/harsh best I can figure.
The original 1litr VW was tested on German public highways (no city driving), at some nominal unacknowledged speed, i.e posted speeds. But this was possibly as low as 50mph more or less. Still I can't dis a 317mpg posting. Even if 250mpg at 50mph, I'm happy.

Top Bottom