• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

WCCFLY

Elio Fan
Reaction score
If it gets 50 mpg going down the interstate at 75mph then I would be happy. But if you have to cut off the motor and push it down hill to get 84 mpg then it's not good.

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Team already has a problem w/the 84 # because Elio will NOT do that is city driving, the # that really counts.

The side window placard on my Insight is 40 city 43 highway, but can do 64 (with a tailwind!), a # Honda knows not to advertise.

They will wind up in court if they put 84 on the placard and consumers are going to scream foul when it won't do
84 city and/or highway. But I don't see it doing 84 highway, either; I could be wrong.

They need to clarify what that # actually is, but at this stage may not.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I totally buy that 84 highway is doable. No issues there. But doable != easy and at least from an outsider's perspective, they're so far beyond anyone else's numbers (understandably so given the aerodynamics) that I don't believe for a moment that the difference between 75 mpg and 84 mpg will affect sales. I believe Elio will (or won't) sell the same number of vehicles with either of those numbers. As such, it seems like just getting the car out there would be the first order of business while shooting for the full 84 could be reserved for the '17 model or something.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally I think Elio is doing the right thing in achieving the 4 "must haves".. To do anything less would cause Elio to lose respect.. The engine and tranny are not built yet so they still have plenty of time to fine tune things.. The transmission efficiency will have a big influence on economy where big losses can occur.. Many automatic transmissions are more efficient than manuals now including the CVT in my 08 Sentra..

Ray

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul is quoted saying all decisions must fit the (4) basic tenants, or they are discarded, or may become optional..............

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then pushing hard for 75 mpg makes a lot of sense. 84? Not so much.

That's another red flag in my book (if you cross reference to the "where are they now" thread). Seems to me that a guy with a dream like the Elio who's having difficulty getting funding would be looking at the DOE (or whatever agency would be appropriate) for support. The Elio is politically a wonderful thing to back from the fed perspective. It's already got a working prototype which means that there's already something to show the taxpayer and the risk is comparatively low. Blah blah blah. So why *wouldn't* the want federal backing given their current situation? The only thing that comes to my mind is that you're worried that if you run to Bora Bora with the money of random investors the feds don't chase you as hard as if you run to Bora Bora with *their* money.

Perhaps their decision to not pursue Federal funding has to with an aversion to massive red tape and attached strings. :rolleyes:

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Team already has a problem w/the 84 # because Elio will NOT do that is city driving, the # that really counts. . . .

I currently commute 116 miles round trip each day. 99 of those are interstate miles. Yes, I know I'm not your typical consumer, but I can tell you this, I definitely consider 84 MPG to be important.

Top Bottom