• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Travis Bertram

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps their decision to not pursue Federal funding has to with an aversion to massive red tape and attached strings. :rolleyes:
I tend to agree with the avoiding the red tape. If you do a bit of internet research you will find Elio and Aptera did not meet the definition of high efficiency vehicle under the DOE Clean Energy loan program. Aptera did the politicking to get the law modified so three wheel vehicles qualify. Elio and Aptera are specifically listed as two programs who should qualify in spirit but did not because they lacked the 4th wheel. I see Elio following the same track as Tesla. Tesla did not accept the Federal Funds until they were already established and in production. They were able to use the funds to boost their established program and quickly repay the loans. Unlike Aptera who used to the funds to attempt to get into production and failed miserably.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 84 mpg may be just like the lottery jackpot, it's always advertised at twice what you really get. OK I'll take 42 mpg and I will be happy. But until I'm driving my 2015 Elio I will dream about 84 mpg.
Getting 40mpg at a $7000 cost would be a bargin.. You are correct I'd rather get 65 mpg and have a car with some take off punch over 84 needing a nudge from the car behind me to get rolling..

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting 40mpg at a $7000 cost would be a bargin.. You are correct I'd rather get 65 mpg and have a car with some take off punch over 84 needing a nudge from the car behind me to get rolling..
If they meet the 9.5 second 0-60 time goal, you'll be the one nudging the guy in front of you most of the time, if you choose to. Not necessarily because it will be quicker than most, but because most folks accelerate away from traffic lights at something in the neighborhood of a 12 second 0-60 rate. :p

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No! No! No! 40mpg at $7000 No! Those of you with lots of disposable income don't seem to comprehend what it is like for the rest of us. We don't simply want that 84mpg for $6800, we need it. These values are what helps make this vehicle available to us. Please stop bargaining away what is needed by lower income people simply so you can have a vehicle with more power. You can buy another kind of vehicle. We cannot. Now, is there one of those smiley faces that has its tongue stuck out so I can say So There and stick my tongue out at you? Hmmm Well kind of but not the one I was thinking of. Oh well, just my thoughts on the matter. Sigh! :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
No! No! No! 40mpg at $7000 No! Those of you with lots of disposable income don't seem to comprehend what it is like for the rest of us. We don't simply want that 84mpg for $6800, we need it. These values are what helps make this vehicle available to us. Please stop bargaining away what is needed by lower income people simply so you can have a vehicle with more power. You can buy another kind of vehicle. We cannot. Now, is there one of those smiley faces that has its tongue stuck out so I can say So There and stick my tongue out at you? Hmmm Well kind of but not the one I was thinking of. Oh well, just my thoughts on the matter. Sigh! :) Z

Zelio, the good news is that Elio Motors does appear to be working very hard to achieve all their goals and there is a very good chance they will get there or at least extremely close to them.

Reaction score
No! No! No! 40mpg at $7000 No! Those of you with lots of disposable income don't seem to comprehend what it is like for the rest of us. We don't simply want that 84mpg for $6800, we need it.

May I please second and third this. I wouldn't have been able to even consider buying a brand new vehicle if it wasn't for the elio. Paul Elio's dream has become my dream.
Thanks Zelio for posting my thoughts on this.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zelio, the good news is that Elio Motors does appear to be working very hard to achieve all their goals and there is a very good chance they will get there or at least extremely close to them.
That is why I have already saved the first and started saving the second "payment" towards the $400 I need to upgrade to $500. I'm not only very sure Elio is going to happen, I am sure it is going to happen at the promised levels so even someone at my income level can afford it. Go Elio!!!!! :-) Z

Reaction score
Aw, I got a bit of sad new on this home front. The ford is in the shop today, front ball bearing, front end alignment and two tires plus oil change and filter. I have to pay for this from the monies saved for my elio and this isn't even addressing the 'check engine' light. I'm still ahead of the saving game and OK. But, I am started to really hate my ford.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw, I got a bit of sad new on this home front. The ford is in the shop today, front ball bearing, front end alignment and two tires plus oil change and filter. I have to pay for this from the monies saved for my elio and this isn't even addressing the 'check engine' light. I'm still ahead of the saving game and OK. But, I am started to really hate my ford.
That stinks, I'm in a similar situation with my Pontiac. I'm not even bothering to fix the engine because I could buy an older used car for the cost to tear the engine apart to fix it. I suspect that Jiffy Lube is about to cut me off from their free oil & coolant top offs. I go from completely topped off to bone dry about every 1500 miles and I know I'm costing them more than I'm paying them for my scheduled changes.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the avoiding the red tape. If you do a bit of internet research you will find Elio and Aptera did not meet the definition of high efficiency vehicle under the DOE Clean Energy loan program. Aptera did the politicking to get the law modified so three wheel vehicles qualify. Elio and Aptera are specifically listed as two programs who should qualify in spirit but did not because they lacked the 4th wheel. I see Elio following the same track as Tesla. Tesla did not accept the Federal Funds until they were already established and in production. They were able to use the funds to boost their established program and quickly repay the loans. Unlike Aptera who used to the funds to attempt to get into production and failed miserably.

Tesla didn't have much in the way of production when they got a loan. A limited production 2 seater. They did have a bigger car in development. They got loan long before Model S went into production. So Tesla did the same thing as Aptera, use the funds to get Model S into production. I don't think Tesla "accepted" loan in as much as they asked for a loan. No one was forcing Tesla to take out a loan.

Top Bottom