• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who the hell's philosophy is that, yours? What kind of shit reasoning is that "the primary goal of the first generation is to get on the market as soon as possible"???? What made you think a product will reach it's second generation if you release a half baked product as your first generation let alone get the respect and trust of your first customers? maybe you never heard of the expression "doing it right the first time"!
I don't know that anyone has formalized it but I've seen a crapload of projects come through my test lab. In my experience, the programs that adopt the "80% solution" philosophy seem to go places. There might be a quirk or two, but based on the success of the first generation more research money shows up (to develop the second generation). The projects that go for the "100% solution" get bogged down on die on the vine before they ever see the light of day. They have nothing to show for their efforts and further funding simply never arrives.

Now, if Elio was being backed by Bill Gates or something? OK, no problem. But they're not. Right now I only give them about a 50/50 shot of ever producing a production vehicle. Not because the idea isn't great. Not because nobody will buy it. But rather, because I can easily see them running out of money before they get to the finish line. And with that in mind.... Yeah, I'm all about seeing them get a product out the door before the house of cards collapses.

Since you don't care about the EM's 84 mpg goal, why stop there, forget about the 5 star crash rating, or the IAV engine, shit, let them use the geo metro engine and let them increase the price from $6,800 to $15,000 up- just so investors can see some profit in this project- oh yeah, that'll bring your ELIO very quickly!:D
Other than the $15,000 part, that's *EXACTLY* what I'm hoping for although I concede that the crash rating is required for marketing in the US. But seriously, I don't give a shit about 84 mpg. I don't give a shit about crash ratings. And yes, the Geo engine would be perfectly acceptable to me. I want an affordable street legal reverse trike that's fully enclosed, light weight, and has good aerodynamics. That's it.

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jetpack54 already said it but I have to reiterate.

I too do R&D. When creating products I am given and derive requirements for the product that have to be met. During development the goals and what we learn as the product develops are constantly evaluated. I have experienced times where requirements are relaxed but more often products are canceled if the requirements cannot be met. Ignoring requirements and shipping crap out the door always results in a failed product.

When I think upon my consumer experiences I look at the tons of technology (cell phones, tvs, even new vehicles) that are rushed out to grab the consumers dollar. Sure the manufactures make some immediate change but the ill will that the poor products create end up hurting the manufacture in the long run.

I am hopeful Elio is not a flash in the pan and that it is here for the long run. I hope that despite your assertions and desire to cut corners that Elio will follow sensible engineering and manufacturing processes to give elio owners what they expect.
Amen!

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know that anyone has formalized it but I've seen a crapload of projects come through my test lab. In my experience, the programs that adopt the "80% solution" philosophy seem to go places. There might be a quirk or two, but based on the success of the first generation more research money shows up (to develop the second generation). The projects that go for the "100% solution" get bogged down on die on the vine before they ever see the light of day. They have nothing to show for their efforts and further funding simply never arrives.

Now, if Elio was being backed by Bill Gates or something? OK, no problem. But they're not. Right now I only give them about a 50/50 shot of ever producing a production vehicle. Not because the idea isn't great. Not because nobody will buy it. But rather, because I can easily see them running out of money before they get to the finish line. And with that in mind.... Yeah, I'm all about seeing them get a product out the door before the house of cards collapses.

Other than the $15,000 part, that's *EXACTLY* what I'm hoping for although I concede that the crash rating is required for marketing in the US. But seriously, I don't give a shit about 84 mpg. I don't give a shit about crash ratings. And yes, the Geo engine would be perfectly acceptable to me. I want an affordable street legal reverse trike that's fully enclosed, light weight, and has good aerodynamics. That's it.
The thing is....most of us here does not give a shit that you don't give a shit! Get it? We signed up and gave our hard earned deposits, refundable or otherwise because we liked EM's concept of a high mileage vehicle that delivers 84 mpg, 5 star crash rating, $6,800 price tag plus tax and it's awesome aerodynamic look! And yes, Elio does not have big backer right now like Bill gates that's the more reason EM has to get it right the first time because this is a one shot deal that can make or break this ELIO project!;)

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
vehicle that delivers 84 mpg, 5 star crash rating, $6,800 price

So if it only delivers 75 mpg, gets a 4 star crash rating, and costs $7,500 you're out?

'Cause that'd still be a pretty phenomenal car compared to what's out there, and I bet those numbers would be a lot easier to make.

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been all in for 1K from the beginning and I intend to see it through to the end! Whether EM make good on their promise to meet all "4 musts", it's for them to decide not me but this I'm sure, if they succeed, I bet you're the first one to jump on the bandwagon and give high praises for their excellent achievement, right? There's a name for those kind of people- flip-flopper! :D

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The better part, even if I end up buying an Elio 1st gen and later 2nd gen... I've still spent less money that I would have on a Prius.

That is EXACTLY right. If you are a motorcycle person the Elio has some appeal to you to When a new Honda Goldwing cost 20,000 to 22,000 Dollars or a Harley Electro Glide Classic cost $22,000 and up. Plus you get to sit in a Chair in the Elio and you have Heating and Air Conditioning and a lot better stability.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY right. If you are a motorcycle person the Elio has some appeal to you to When a new Honda Goldwing cost 20,000 to 22,000 Dollars or a Harley Electro Glide Classic cost $22,000 and up. Plus you get to sit in a Chair in the Elio and you have Heating and Air Conditioning and a lot better stability.
As a 'motorcycle person', I can tell you that you've hit the nail exactly on the head. It won't be the same experience, of course, but I'm hoping it will be sufficiently exhilarating to be a good substitute. Especially when spiritedly driven on mountain roads. :p It will most definitely be a much safer and more comfortable commuter in summer (often >100 degrees on the interstate) in the Atlanta stop and go traffic. And, the price is $490 less than the MSRP of the motorcycle pictured in my avatar. I expect to net >120 seat-mpg as the wife and I ride share during the commute.

Top Bottom