• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like (well love actually) micro cars. Lots of people hate them and feel they are getting forced into them by economics. The scooter powered "kabinrollers" in post WWII Europe remobilized the population. For many they evoke something other than fun.
An Elio is not something I need. It is something I want and looks to me as something that will be a blast to drive.

A good motorcycle disappears when you ride it. Just you and the road it becomes a prosthetic that lets you fly along a few inches above the ground. The mechanical bits become part of you. A single seater car is much the same. A formula car does not have to have a lot of power to be an absolute gas to drive. http://www.formulaveeracing.org/

I am all in for the fun of it.
I don't think 'lots' of people hate Elio........especially those with reservations. Some may find the style odd but that may become more appealing when they see Elio on the streets.....rather than just an image. With that said.......I'm in for the anticipated fun of the drive too.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A good motorcycle disappears when you ride it. Just you and the road it becomes a prosthetic that lets you fly along a few inches above the ground. The mechanical bits become part of you.

I am all in for the fun of it.
My previous motor cycles must not have been as good as yours because my memories are different from yours. I keep having these slow motion flashbacks where I could clearly see I had used every caution and done all that was possible but yet found myself inexorably moving for a crack up. I will give you this much; The part where you say that pieces of the motorcycle become part of you as they grind themselves into your body as you lay that bad boy down waiting for the impact.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My previous motor cycles must not have been as good as yours because my memories are different from yours. I keep having these slow motion flashbacks where I could clearly see I had used every caution and done all that was possible but yet found myself inexorably moving for a crack up. I will give you this much; The part where you say that pieces of the motorcycle become part of you as they grind themselves into your body as you lay that bad boy down waiting for the impact.

I'm not trying to be critical but I think that many of the rider education efforts, both for other drivers as well as the training for new and experienced riders, significantly reduce the past experiences you talk of. If you sit in on an experienced rider course someday you will be surprised to learn the number of things that people either forgot, or more likely, never learned.

Motorcycle specific traits such as braking, counter steering, avoiding the high side, even learning how to lift your bike without getting a hernia are great things that are taught in both the beginner and expert riding courses. Additionally, things like scanning, picking a line, and always planning for what to do when X happens are important for drivers of all vehicles. It would be great if all vehicle operators were encouraged to refresh such fundamental driving habits from time to time.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be great if all vehicle operators were encouraged to refresh such fundamental driving habits from time to time.
Well said. As a former National Safety Council instructor in both auto and motorcycle safety courses it is amazing how little knowledge many drivers have. It is dangerous to be on the road because of them. We worry more about smog certification than we do about driver education.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be critical but I think that many of the rider education efforts, both for other drivers as well as the training for new and experienced riders, significantly reduce the past experiences you talk of. If you sit in on an experienced rider course someday you will be surprised to learn the number of things that people either forgot, or more likely, never learned.

Motorcycle specific traits such as braking, counter steering, avoiding the high side, even learning how to lift your bike without getting a hernia are great things that are taught in both the beginner and expert riding courses. Additionally, things like scanning, picking a line, and always planning for what to do when X happens are important for drivers of all vehicles. It would be great if all vehicle operators were encouraged to refresh such fundamental driving habits from time to time.
Thank you Jeff. But You're missing my point completely. I'm going to say this one more time. Compared to Autos, Motor cycles and light aircraft are guaranteed to place hair teeth and eyes all over the landscape not matter how safe or well trained. Both have a reputation that far exceeds the dangers of automobiles or trikes. My comments are more of a spoof and kidding Karl as he so describes becoming one with his bike. I can't help seeing Wily e Coyote becoming one with his bike then no longer feeling his bike underneath him any longer and sure enough. He looks down and his bike is no longer with him he's going to now negotiate 1000 foot drop into the canyon. LOL I always thought prosthetic was the descriptor for what Wile e coyote needed after not during his flights. LOL

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had to stop riding and crash to ( fill in the blank ) a crash? 313.9 million people live in the United States and 23 thousand that put down a deposit hardly constitute a majority. More of our citizens die on the highways than at war. We have been involved with shooting wars for years now. Operating any vehicle requires a level of skill. Some of us still enjoy that. For those that do not autonomous operation can't come soon enough.

I don't expect this machine to provide the same experience as a conventional motorcycle. I expect it to be much more like a formula car and believe it will be lots of fun without having to set my hair on fire with lots of power and high G forces ect.

I am in it for the fun.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am 'loosing confidence' in Elio Motors' ability to project and keep to a timeline/schedule. When a major international 'Engine Design Company' like IAV takes 1-2 years to 're-design' an existing 3-cylinder engine, and 'modernize' it with EXISTING TECHNOLOGY.... and STILL has not demonstrated a RUNNING ENGINE. When EM shifts their Production Date from, Jun/Jul 2014... to Dec 2014... early 2015.... 1st Qtr 2015.... then 3rd Qtr 2015... and 'blames' it on the "Lawyers" and "Plant Problems".

What 'really' matters is the "Pre-Production" prototype..... that has ALL the major components (ENGINE, drivetrain, frame, electronics, safety features, etc.) of the 'finished' vehicle. P5 or "E" Series..... Elio Motors is NOT THERE YET! Just this past week Paul Elio said;

THIS WEEK “The next phase of the project is to create 25 prototypes for physical testing to validate the extensive simulations completed so far.” (– http://gas2.org/2014/07/04/elio-moto...aul-elio-part/ --)

And according to Technosports Creative; the next prototype will not BEGIN construction until Aug/Sep. About "firmly grounded in reality"; not a lot of time to accomplish all this, and 'finalize' their "Pre-Production" design. Especially when Elio Motors has 'claimed' in the past:

LAST YEAR “Founder Paul Elio told Red River Radio that 25 prototypes are under construction in Detroit as the company enters into the product testing phase. “

I will start to 'regain confidence'..... when I actually SEE the "E" Series vehicles being BUILT and TESTED!

Last edited:
Top Bottom