• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Design "freeze" Is Important To The Elio Project...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You're certainly correct that engineering...safety...etc...need to be properly addressed...but if there are further delays...the buying public (and many of the current deposit holders) will possibly lose faith in Elio's abilities to actually bring a vehicle to market...this could have a ripple effect of drying up necessary public & private funding for this project...

To be a successful manufacturing company...you have to be able to execute within a reasonable time frame...and meet promised deadlines...

from your stated background, such statements most certainly apply to standard manufacturing applications .... the reality is, most of your tough questions and such observations have been somewhat off target because you are drawing from experiences in a different ballpark .... EM has cultivated a very loyal following that seems willing to ride out the storm .... not to say they want delays but the reality is, the vast majority have openly acknowledged that if delays come, they will still support the project .... word of delays could certainly impact future reservations but unless it drags way beyond the horizon, I just don't see it being a significant issue

Jim

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
from your stated background, such statements most certainly apply to standard manufacturing applications .... the reality is, most of your tough questions and such observations have been somewhat off target because you are drawing from experiences in a different ballpark .... EM has cultivated a very loyal following that seems willing to ride out the storm .... not to say they want delays but the reality is, the vast majority have openly acknowledged that if delays come, they will still support the project .... word of delays could certainly impact future reservations but unless it drags way beyond the horizon, I just don't see it being a significant issue

Jim
Perfect!!! says it all for me- good job!!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We generally try to maintain a welcoming and friendly forum to everyone however when people show up and obviously have an agenda in their posting, even it is not necessarily attacking Elio Motors, they will generally encounter resistance. This is not just caused by forum members being defensive, this is an EM forum after all, but also because the new members have not done their research and are instead merely repeating a pattern we see over and over again.

The fact of the matter is that it is not unusual at all for people to join this forum and ask what they believe to be 'tough questions', which various agendas in mind, however if they would actually bother reading and getting involved in the forum first they would discover the vast majority of what they may think to be original questions have already been discussed and debated many times before. We also already have a number of members who have a lot of doubts about EM and do a decent job of keeping us honest in our discussions so even that angle is already covered.

Reservation holders are not the fools that some people appear to believe we are but instead the majority of us understood when we became involved that this is a start-up business attempting to not only introduce a new type of vehicle to the market but also a new way of designing, manufacturing, selling, distributing, and supporting the vehicle. We knew that all of that is not easy to do, would take some time, would likely suffer a few setback along the way, and could even end in failure however we also believed in the idea, and the people behind it, enough to get involved anyway.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well said, G1. I'm not shy about voicing concerns and questions, but am heavily invested in the success of the project, as Mr. Elio calls it -- and he defines the project as much more than the car itself, as I'm sure you know. I agree with you that most of us in this forum are similarly invested, yet can tolerate some level of critical thinking. On balance, I agree that the Forum does a very good job of surfacing issues, and, some consensus is usually reached.

There's a difference between testing and scoffing. I hope we are able to remain open to the one and reject the other.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes...Elio Motors has publicly announced approximate production time frames...

Mr. Elio first indicated production would commence in 2013...than production of the Elio Vehicle was revised to start in 2014...this was updated by Mr Elio to currently be the 4th quarter of 2015...

You're certainly correct that engineering...safety...etc...need to be properly addressed...but if there are further delays...the buying public (and many of the current deposit holders) will possibly lose faith in Elio's abilities to actually bring a vehicle to market...this could have a ripple effect of drying up necessary public & private funding for this project...

To be a successful manufacturing company...you have to be able to execute within a reasonable time frame...and meet promised deadlines...
Not a bad opinion. Now here is some facts for you and I'll use Tesla because you like to compare them to ELIO. The Tesla Model X was first introduced way back February 2012 and according to Auto Blog dtd. 2/10/12 "Tesla will start taking reservations at noon PST Feb 10th." In the Aug . 2014 issue of MotorTrend it says "Model X has been "delayed" yet again and is now scheduled to go into production "next spring", 2015.
With Tesla failing to execute within a reasonable time frame (I'm using your own words here)...and meet promised deadlines...in your expert opinion, do you really think that Tesla die hard fans will just bail out and lose faith (using your own words again) because of these delays??? Funding problems...maybe, Mr. Musk himself losing faith in his own creation because it still needs to make money from Model S??? Maybe! ;)

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We generally try to maintain a welcoming and friendly forum to everyone however when people show up and obviously have an agenda in their posting, even it is not necessarily attacking Elio Motors, they will generally encounter resistance. This is not just caused by forum members being defensive, this is an EM forum after all, but also because the new members have not done their research and are instead merely repeating a pattern we see over and over again.

The fact of the matter is that it is not unusual at all for people to join this forum and ask what they believe to be 'tough questions', which various agendas in mind, however if they would actually bother reading and getting involved in the forum first they would discover the vast majority of what they may think to be original questions have already been discussed and debated many times before. We also already have a number of members who have a lot of doubts about EM and do a decent job of keeping us honest in our discussions so even that angle is already covered.

Reservation holders are not the fools that some people appear to believe we are but instead the majority of us understood when we became involved that this is a start-up business attempting to not only introduce a new type of vehicle to the market but also a new way of designing, manufacturing, selling, distributing, and supporting the vehicle. We knew that all of that is not easy to do, would take some time, would likely suffer a few setback along the way, and could even end in failure however we also believed in the idea, and the people behind it, enough to get involved anyway.
Well said G1!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've asked a LOT of questions and formed a strong opinions.... as have many here.

I mean, look at the uprising on the dashboard and the location of the gas cap!

If those created an... um... "active" discussion, can you imagine the uprising of the Elio build quality was not up to par or we felt that the reports less than honest?

I'm pretty sure the servers would melt and go China Syndrome.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uprising?? silly use of the word considering......
I posted recently which would come first 40k reservations or 40k posts on the gas cap!!
I think you're missing out on the fun side !! Take it too seriously and you'll miss a major function of this site!!-
Even the trolls are funny in their attempts to create doubts about this project.
The sharing of the opportunities of this adventure adds to the excitement of each getting our Elio- Whenever, and even if never, it's a great "ride"-Are you looking for a revolution/uprising?? the Chinese could use your help, want to share in our dream, we can use your help

Top Bottom