• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Design "freeze" Is Important To The Elio Project...

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uprising?? silly use of the word considering......
I posted recently which would come first 40k reservations or 40k posts on the gas cap!!
I think you're missing out on the fun side !! Take it too seriously and you'll miss a major function of this site!!-
Even the trolls are funny in their attempts to create doubts about this project.
The sharing of the opportunities of this adventure adds to the excitement of each getting our Elio- Whenever, and even if never, it's a great "ride"-Are you looking for a revolution/uprising?? the Chinese could use your help, want to share in our dream, we can use your help

:cool: fair enough.

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We generally try to maintain a welcoming and friendly forum to everyone however when people show up and obviously have an agenda in their posting, even it is not necessarily attacking Elio Motors, they will generally encounter resistance. This is not just caused by forum members being defensive, this is an EM forum after all, but also because the new members have not done their research and are instead merely repeating a pattern we see over and over again.

The fact of the matter is that it is not unusual at all for people to join this forum and ask what they believe to be 'tough questions', which various agendas in mind, however if they would actually bother reading and getting involved in the forum first they would discover the vast majority of what they may think to be original questions have already been discussed and debated many times before. We also already have a number of members who have a lot of doubts about EM and do a decent job of keeping us honest in our discussions so even that angle is already covered.

Reservation holders are not the fools that some people appear to believe we are but instead the majority of us understood when we became involved that this is a start-up business attempting to not only introduce a new type of vehicle to the market but also a new way of designing, manufacturing, selling, distributing, and supporting the vehicle. We knew that all of that is not easy to do, would take some time, would likely suffer a few setback along the way, and could even end in failure however we also believed in the idea, and the people behind it, enough to get involved anyway.

I appreciate your comments...as others have stated..."time will tell"...

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate your comments...as others have stated..."time will tell"...
Nope, the right thing to do is acknowledge that you're wrong with your assessment of the ELIO. You came in this forum with your 30 years experience in the auto industry, raising all doubts and when we gave you our own realistic opinion, all you can say is time will tell??? Come on, you can do better than that! :D
Shall we start feeling sorry for the 20,000 + Tesla Model X reservation holders who deposited $5,000.00 for the standard model (source Car and Driver) and so far since Feb. 2012, all they've seen is one, yes, one prototype and they're all left to wonder and wait what the final design will look like or what the final price will be! Not to mention that they don't have an engine to test- for crying out loud it's got a simple electric motors and batteries, less parts too! So why is all the delays I ask of you? Tesla first announced to start production at the end of 2013, then was rescheduled for late 2014, then on Feb. 2014, they again missed their goal and announced volume deliveries by 2nd quarter of 2015 and just last Nov. 14 made yet another announcement of delay and it will now be 3rd quarter of 2015! All this info. is in the internet just search Tesla Model X. Lastly keep in mind that Tesla Motors have Mr.Musk's billions so funding is not an issue. ;)

Dave Diels

Reaction score
My understanding from reading all known info the current P4 will be very close to what the final P5 will be so don't understand why you think there will be further design delays? I think the engine is only main "wait" and then the testing begins. Up to 6 months and one of those should be just about up. May 2015 crash test/etc with Sept or even earlier is right on target.
Curious as to the latest launch date. Nothing solid yet, apparently. Do you or anybody know when the stores will start to appear?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Curious as to the latest launch date. Nothing solid yet, apparently. Do you or anybody know when the stores will start to appear?

we were told in Charlotte that they hope to get a couple up in major markets (on par with NY and LA) in 2015 .... others would start opening in the markets they have designated in 2016

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dave, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. I think you are asking about the Elio Distribution Centers and If so they will not be opened until well after production has begun and most of the first year Elios have been delivered. There should be plenty of after market option suppliers that will open up about the same time as Elio production begins. The forum has the latest information on the development and production of the Elio and you will find the members (at least most of them) friendly and helpful. We try to keep it informative and entertaining and encourage you to post your questions, comments and opinions. Enjoy both the Elio experience and the journey with your new friends on the forum.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good evening!

Based on information posted on this forum...the Elio Vehicle is still in the early developmental design & component integration phase...

At some point there will have to be a "design freeze"...

A "design freeze" means that no further changes can be made to the design. It is a cut off point for the engineers...because if they continue to change the design past a certain date...the product will not be on time for the manufacturing deadlines...and thus the production phase will continually be delayed.

In layman's terms...there has be a production ready prototype (with validation testing already accomplished ) in order to procure & spec the tooling necessary to build the vehicle.

Additionally...none of the supplier can build any of the necessary sub-components (parts) till a"design freeze'" is in place...

I look forward to taking delivery at some point...but I expect Elio Motors to continue to announce further production delays after the first of the year.
I hate to burst your bubble of importance, but you have said nothing of significance. Everyone already know this.

Did I spell "importance" correctly? Perhaps I should have left off the r and changed the a to an e.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the final body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is it. I do not know if the ABS, airbags, and what else that has been said are missing on the P4. But I was told the P4 body configuration is the final shape. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.

Top Bottom