• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Design "freeze" Is Important To The Elio Project...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since you have come to your conclusion does this mean we will not hear from you until November? Fingers crossed. You can tell us then how stupid we are. Thanks for all your wisdom...........
Seems like a civilized statement too me. No bold type and/or personal attack. Reaching a conclusion on both sides of this pro and con Elio debate would make you assume the discussion had ended. I also felt I was being labeled a stupid fool for having a pre-order deposit. We both know the Elio is what it is.............a motorcycle classified vehicle.......or autocycle as some choose to define it. Also, actual crash testing results will verify that Elio's computer modeled safety standards meets their self imposed anticipated five star safety rating.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I applaud & understand your passion...the Elio is a cool concept...but please remember this is a public forum...and you will never agree with all the posting...and I see no problem with that fact...

At the end of the day...I may be completely wrong with regards to my assessment of Elio Motors...
You are relatively new here, but your likes have irritated a lot of members in the past and that may be why you can't understand why some are so quickly irritated by you. If you would like to do a quick read, look up 3card, pjrogers, and whattheelf. I am not accusing you at all of being them, your writings are different, however, some nutbag(s) have appeared to come back as different usernames, hence some may be suspicious. And for the record, some critics are more respectful and therefore the disagreements are more civil.

And to most of us here for a while, while your arguments may be new and fresh in your mind, we've heard them all before. One thing other "Debbie Downers" and you might consider is that most of us know here know there are challenges, that there have been delays and there may be more. Most of us are willing to risk a few bucks to see something new come to market that inherently will have an uphill battle ahead of them. I have my own concerns but I see no benefit to discussing them ad nauseam. My concerns will be founded, or they won't.

I'm only writing this because after about 3 weeks I've noticed that you repeatedly try different angles of the same argument and wonder why some lash out at you a little too harshly.

Just my opinion.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
........My opinion is that Mr Elio has promised his customers a vehicle that meets automobile saftey standards...so the engineering goals are well beyond the complexity of a motorcycle...

At the end of the day...I'm unconvinced that the Elio Vehicle as it's current designed... will ever pass any real world saftey validation testing...and as a result...a full redesign of the Elio concept will result...assuming there's funding avaible to contuine this project...

2015 will be the pivotal year for the Elio story...
As I see it your best option is to buy some other vehicle that meets your requirements and comfort level, obviously, the Elio isn't the vehicle for you.

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are relatively new here, but your likes have irritated a lot of members in the past and that may be why you can't understand why some are so quickly irritated by you. If you would like to do a quick read, look up 3card, pjrogers, and whattheelf. I am not accusing you at all of being them, your writings are different, however, some nutbag(s) have appeared to come back as different usernames, hence some may be suspicious. And for the record, some critics are more respectful and therefore the disagreements are more civil.

And to most of us here for a while, while your arguments may be new and fresh in your mind, we've heard them all before. One thing other "Debbie Downers" and you might consider is that most of us know here know there are challenges, that there have been delays and there may be more. Most of us are willing to risk a few bucks to see something new come to market that inherently will have an uphill battle ahead of them. I have my own concerns but I see no benefit to discussing them ad nauseam. My concerns will be founded, or they won't.

I'm only writing this because after about 3 weeks I've noticed that you repeatedly try different angles of the same argument and wonder why some lash out at you a little too harshly.

Just my opinion.

And I respect your opinion...

If you see no relevance to my comments and postings...I encourage you to just take them with a "grain of salt'...

And yes...I do find the Elio story is very polarizing...makes for spirited discussion...which should be the goal for any public forum...

Hopefully....Mr Elio will release updated R&D development information soon...so we can focus on facts...

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I see it your best option is to buy some other vehicle that meets your requirements and comfort level, obviously, the Elio isn't the vehicle for you.

Actually...I would enjoy owning a Elio Vehicle...

I purchased one of the first "New Beetles" when they were available back in 1998...(drove plenty of the original beetles too)...bought one of the first Mini Coopers in 2002...(owned original Mini Cooper's back in the day)...purchase one of the first Smart Cars in 2008...and have owned a 2012 Fiat 500...also used to drive a Lotus Super 7...had a wonderful restored Corvair convertible for a number of years...and owned a restored Nash Metropolitan...does anyone remember the King Midget...LOL

I love quirky & fun high gas mileage vehicles...

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Read this in "The Elio Engine" thread. I thought it might fit here.
Cache Man.JPG

Now if that's not a Design Freeze I don't know what is! :D

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it fascinating that members posting comments on this forum that question Paul Elio's abilty to bring a new vehicle concept to market are branded as trolls...but that's not an issue...I promise you...I've been called worse...LOL

As I study the Elio story...I have taken the time & effort to research every article that relates to Elio Motors that I can locate via the internet...including reviewing the various projects (and patents) that ESG engineering has undertaken...

My research conclude that Elio Motors can not truly be differentiated from any other automobile manufacturer...Elio is involved with same standardized component suppliers in the industry...and they'll have to meet the same government standards if they chose to adhere to the saftey goals that Mr Elio has laid out to his customers...and of course...the Elio business model of utilizing lean manufacturing principles is certainly not a new concept...

The automotive industry is a government regulated industry...the vehicle concepts may differ...but the Federal standards force a large measure of conformity...consumer's are well served by the stringent standards...vehicle's have become safer...more energy efficient...with increased reliability...

Additionally...there seem to be a lot of confusion as to the transportation category that the Elio Vehicle is being designed for...

Many on this forum see the Elio as an alternative to their motorcycle...while others view the Elio as an alternative to a traditional 4 wheel automobile...

My opinion is that Mr Elio has promised his customers a vehicle that meets automobile saftey standards...so the engineering goals are well beyond the complexity of a motorcycle...

At the end of the day...I'm unconvinced that the Elio Vehicle as it's current designed... will ever pass any real world saftey validation testing...and as a result...a full redesign of the Elio concept will result...assuming there's funding avaible to contuine this project...

2015 will be the pivotal year for the Elio story...
Hmm, I guess that came across as way caustic! If you took it as such, I do sincerely apologize. My point from my post was that you seem to have analyzed the Elio concept, process and production and can only see it from the point of view that you do. Myself and many others see the process and we and we look at the whole thing as an adventure and one that we got in at the ground level. Call it illogical if you like. Who knows where it's going, we are optimistic, we are enthusiastic, we may be naive and even prickly but we do our best to be open minded and friendly to all. I may have failed, I don't know but this situation sort of sounds like an athiest/agnostic trying to convince a Baptist church the errors of their faith. Like teaching a pig to sing it wastes your time and bothers the pig (oops, I guess that makes us the pigs!). So really, we want to welcome you but don't try so hard, relax, enjoy the people and the ride.

As far as the reference to the book and name being stricken, you really need to watch The Quiet Man, John Ford and John Wayne, you can't lose!

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess that came across as way caustic! If you took it as such, I do sincerely apologize. My point from my post was that you seem to have analyzed the Elio concept, process and production and can only see it from the point of view that you do. Myself and many others see the process and we and we look at the whole thing as an adventure and one that we got in at the ground level. Call it illogical if you like. Who knows where it's going, we are optimistic, we are enthusiastic, we may be naive and even prickly but we do our best to be open minded and friendly to all. I may have failed, I don't know but this situation sort of sounds like an atheist/agnostic trying to convince a Baptist church the errors of their faith. Like teaching a pig to sing it wastes your time and bothers the pig (oops, I guess that makes us the pigs!). So really, we want to welcome you but don't try so hard, relax, enjoy the people and the ride.

As far as the reference to the book and name being stricken, you really need to watch The Quiet Man, John Ford and John Wayne, you can't lose!

Thanks for your kind words...and certainly no need to apologize!

But...you want me to relax...just not in my DNA...LOL

I'm well aware that I have a reputation for being a "pain in the derriere"...but I sincerely hope I've added a bit of excitement to the forum!

As I've stated before...I'm just a "car guy" trying to understand the Elio Motors story...

And yes...if I could buy an Elio Vehicle today...I would do so!

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the final body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is it. I do not know if the ABS, airbags, and what else that has been said are missing on the P4. But I was told the P4 body configuration is the final shape. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.
Jerome told me that at sema so i can verify what you said. BUTI have one question. dont they have to have the airbags and everything in it and test it for thousands of miles to make sure everything works right. I read when the first volt hit the market gm tested it for 200k miles before putting it for sale. doesnt elio need to do something like that.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words...and certainly no need to apologize!

But...you want me to relax...just not in my DNA...LOL

I'm well aware that I have a reputation for being a "pain in the derriere"...but I sincerely hope I've added a bit of excitement to the forum!

As I've stated before...I'm just a "car guy" trying to understand the Elio Motors story...

And yes...if I could buy an Elio Vehicle today...I would do so!
Ah so, I know the kind you mean. My wife can be pretty intense too, I now know what direction you're coming from. Well, ok, stay intense, but enjoy the people and the ride. We are all pretty sure it will all pan out and be a hoot on the way, as well as behind the wheel when the Ecars start rolling off the assembly line. If it shouldn't work out though, the only real way we would be losing anything significant is if we didn't take advantage of hanging out on line with the people here on elioowners. So welcome, stay intense and enjoy! Hey by the way, if you hadn't noticed there's a few of us that are experienced Pains in the Patootie!

Top Bottom