• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Design "freeze" Is Important To The Elio Project...

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I kind of doubt it. The Volt used a lot of tech in a new configuration. Elio, not so much. Transaxles and transmissions have been reliable on the road for years now. The IAV engine, based on proven tech, is being bench tested as we type.
If anything needs real world exposure, it'd be the digital dash assembly, complete with powder puff and lip gloss.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerome told me that at sema so i can verify what you said. BUTI have one question. dont they have to have the airbags and everything in it and test it for thousands of miles to make sure everything works right. I read when the first volt hit the market gm tested it for 200k miles before putting it for sale. doesnt elio need to do something like that.
I kind of doubt it. The Volt used a lot of tech in a new configuration. Elio, not so much. Transaxles and transmissions have been reliable on the road for years now. The IAV engine, based on proven tech, is being bench tested as we type.
If anything needs real world exposure, it'd be the digital dash assembly, complete with powder puff and lip gloss.

It also depends on how many test vehicles EM uses. With even a small fleet of only 5 test vehicles each vehicle would only have to drive an average of 40K miles each to reach 200K total for the fleet. It would only take 16 weeks, less than four months, for the fleet to reach 200K miles if they drove an average of 2500 miles per week.

It really is not that hard and does not take too many vehicles or too much time to drive a test fleet 200K miles. As was mentioned EM is pretty much using off the shelf components which should not need as extensive testing however I am sure EM will drive their test fleet a pretty impressive total distance before production begins anyhow. :)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It also depends on how many test vehicles EM uses. With even a small fleet of only 5 test vehicles each vehicle would only have to drive an average of 40K miles each to reach 200K total for the fleet. It would only take 16 weeks, less than four months, for the fleet to reach 200K miles if they drove an average of 2500 miles per week.

It really is not that hard and does not take too many vehicles or too much time to drive a test fleet 200K miles. As was mentioned EM is pretty much using off the shelf components which should not need as extensive testing however I am sure EM will drive their test fleet a pretty impressive total distance before production begins anyhow. :)

I will gladly take one and drive around for 200k miles long as they fit the gas and hotel bill

Mike 4737

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Actually...I would enjoy owning a Elio Vehicle...

I purchased one of the first "New Beetles" when they were available back in 1998...(drove plenty of the original beetles too)...bought one of the first Mini Coopers in 2002...(owned original Mini Cooper's back in the day)...purchase one of the first Smart Cars in 2008...and have owned a 2012 Fiat 500...also used to drive a Lotus Super 7...had a wonderful restored Corvair convertible for a number of years...and owned a restored Nash Metropolitan...does anyone remember the King Midget...LOL

I love quirky & fun high gas mileage vehicles...
I just sold a King Midget a little while ago :)

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The...only...thing...I...wonder...about...is...why...use...all...the...series...of...periods..........................

One of my many "quirks". I tend to use extra periods, usually while thinking.. Commas, well, If I pause there while talking, I usually end up using the comma, while talking.

Besides, I bought a LOAD of them here on the internet, same place I bought the right hand door handles from!!:p:D

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jerome told me that at sema so i can verify what you said. BUTI have one question. dont they have to have the airbags and everything in it and test it for thousands of miles to make sure everything works right. I read when the first volt hit the market gm tested it for 200k miles before putting it for sale. doesnt elio need to do something like that.
I understand that testing like this will occur with a few lucky people running several Elios through their pace. And there will be several cars dispersed for the test drive tour. This is what I have heard (I have not confirmed this). We will have to see. All our discussion will not change anything. I have to trust that Paul Elio will do it right.

The link below is for the Chevrolet Volt. Just an interesting point... The acceleration is the same as what is planned for the Elio. A earlier Volt mule only had 13,000 miles on it after being around one year. I have found several sites that talk about different test cars with approximately the same miles. Maybe the 200k miles mentioned was a combination of all the cars being driven over several years. I have found several sites referring to the combined miles of the users or owners also.

I drive a total of two hours a day to go to work. This is about 550 a week. My butt goes numb as it is. Is there a long haul truck driver out there that would like to share the miles they put on the truck per year? 200k is a lot of driving!

http://www.greencarreports.com/revi...hevrolet-volt-and-2012-ford-focus-ev_page-2_2

This link is referring to the Volt as 65% of what the production will be. You can make your own conclusion and how it compares to Elio production and development.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/first_impressions/2011_chevrolet_volt

I feel Elio is doing great and at a substantially less price than the Volt. Roll on Elio!

Top Bottom