• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Didnt They Make Automatic Standard?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never considered that some wouldn't know that "standard" was a manual transmission. It was commonly known for so long. But there is a whole generation I've lost touch with. Some have probably never read the Great American Novel (Huckleberry Finn). That used to be standard as well.

Standard...........the schools don't even teach "cursive" writing anymore :mad:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I love cruise control. It is so hard to get decent sleep when you gotta baby that gas pedal all the time.

Seriously though, long straight stretches at constant speed aren't much fun to drive, so locking in the speed to prevent a leg cramp sounds good to me :) Although most of the time, when I use CC, it's because I'm either trying to control my impulse to speed or I'm trying to drive more effeciently.

As to the automatic vs manual question, from when I first heard of the Elio (around February 2015) I immediately understood that it was a manual, and that an automatic would cost "around $1000" (the answer I got from Elio when I asked on Facebook).
I too could not live without cruise (bad knees) !
I use it all the time, even "in town".
The cruise on my smart will engage at 15mph ....which is great in my 20mph neighborhood :D

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still don't even know how to use the cruise control on my 2 year old Prius. I guess it's nice if they want to give it to me, but using it is a different matter.

If they give it to you, they took it away from something else. Radio, carpeting, quality, etc...

Personally, both cruise control, and automatic transmission, on a 'budget' car should be optional.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they give it to you, they took it away from something else. Radio, carpeting, quality, etc...

Personally, both cruise control, and automatic transmission, on a 'budget' car should be optional.

There are sensible reasons for making cruise control standard. If enough people want it, then there comes a point where it is more economical to put it on ALL of them at the factory, rather than individually installing it at the marshalling centers. Economies of scale, and all that jazz :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are sensible reasons for making cruise control standard. If enough people want it, then there comes a point where it is more economical to put it on ALL of them at the factory, rather than individually installing it at the marshalling centers. Economies of scale, and all that jazz :)
Wise, you are. Correct, you also are. At some point, it isn't worth having a second part number looming around. Hey, will this cruise control be integrated with the turn signal stalk? If so, you really aren't talking about very much monetary difference there... I can't profess to know how much the controller and throttle linkage would be though with today's vehicles eschewing mechanical connections altogether for economy's sake, I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise control was more a matter of simply installing the control stick and some software in the ECM.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Don't worry they'll make it
back on the AMT.....:evil:

Top Bottom