• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Is The Elio Roll-out Different?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like this one? :D
3138418081_cc232c703f_m.jpg
It has headlights... looks legit. LOL

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well said. I don't know why, but you got me thinking about something... IF you could get the Elio to actually float, it would be neat if the front fenders were designed a little more like an upside down Nike Swoosh that you could rotate around once in the water so the car would ski on the front end. You could use some kind of PTO to drive an impeller that would blow out this rear/sides similar to the new exhaust so it would go like a jet ski.

Anyway, it's your fault for making my mind wander about and coming to the weird Elio/Jet ski combo... (Yeah, a retractable or removable roof panel would be great too) :rolleyes:
The Elio in the next James Bond flick?
latest?cb=20121230165901

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very well stated Lil4X, one part you also have to include; dealing with legalities. How much work and time has been spent getting the helmet laws, license endorsements and getting the government to accept a new category of vehicle (the Autocycle). Just one of the many unseen steps.

What I find quite impressive is the project co-ordination, from concept
to where Elio is today. Very astute planning & attention to detail with
forethought guiding the way............

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. It's so impressive that I am completely puzzled by the lack of Venture Capital funding that impacts progress.

Your in good company, Rickb. Warren, or Richard
or Bill or Paul could have underwritten Elio long ago.
Control could be an issue, &/or they may be quietly
in the background, who knows, but it is puzzling.......

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your in good company, Rickb. Warren, or Richard
or Bill or Paul could have underwritten Elio long ago.
Control could be an issue, &/or they may be quietly
in the background, who knows, but it is puzzling.......

Sometimes things are just so stupid obvious one does not pay any attention to it until one takes time to reflect and realizes; "Holy crap, that's right f'n smart!"

Like those colored rubber bands every kid was making bracelets out of last year... colored rubber bands.... really? Yeah, really.
bracelets-on-wrist.jpg

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nice find. I read that someone (Elon Musk, perhaps) bought the Lotus used in the film and wanted to make it functional. I read about it but don't care enough to actually look it up right now... Or perhaps I'm too lazy.

He sure did its in the Tesla Design studio. He intends to make a new functioning version based on the movie version. Its a Tesla pet project. My guess is that it will be after the model III comes out. Its not a production car obviously i think its just to be cool.

bond.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
^^ That's going to be a challenge. If you want to drive your Elio over its design limits, hot-rod the engine. If you want to turn it into a submarine, well, that's a whole 'nother matter. Let's see . . .
  1. It's going to have to be an EV - either battery or fuel cell - or maybe better yet AIP, or Air Independent Propulsion systems that recycle diesel exhaust gas, enhanced with a dollop of O2 from on-board LOX tanks. Here, the LOX would only be tapped when submerged.
  2. WAY better door and window seals. They make the difference between a submersible and a reef.
  3. Ditto everything else, where water entrance would either damage components or sink the boat. (See "reef" above)
  4. Figure out how to retract wheels and running gear for efficiency. Unlike the Lotus, this has to work in the real world if its actually going to go from Point A to B.
  5. Solve all of the small problems like breathing air, pressurization, ballast and trim, guidance, you know . . . all the stuff that isn't necessary in the movies, but would leave potential buyers struggling for life.
At least in a two-dimensional regime, an automobile has the option of pulling over and stopping in case of trouble. In three-dimensional regimes (aircraft, submarines) such is not an option. Gravity wins, every time - and while an aircraft can come to a more or less successful forced landing when problems arise, the downward trajectory of a failed submarine has a more inevitable and a good deal less desirable outcome.

Therein lies another problem for the home hot-rodder. Mess with your car and short of circumventing critical safety systems, you can probably survive the consequences - if not a lot of embarrassment. IF you use a little judgment. The margins in the air or under the sea are a good deal thinner - and the risks are considerably greater. Splat or Gargle . . . pick 'em.

Of course, Elon Musk has the money to produce a real-life Bond-mobile. IMHO the place to start is with a couple of 50-cal mounts in the fenders . . . it would be so much more satisfying when used as a commuter vehicle. :suspicious:

Top Bottom