• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Is The Elio Roll-out Different?

Okie51

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The safety features have always been a part of the Elio, and they are not "extra" as you claim they are KenK.
Elio Motors is not going to build a safe and a non-safe model just for you.
The Elio is being built for the masses, not individuals.
If you have an argument with this I suggest you take it up with the people at Elio Motors.
Venting about it in here is not a subject we support here in the Elio Owners Group.
I agree we want a safe vehicle. My oldest son could have benefited from steel frame and air bags. I believe that Paul wants to hit his must haves in order to make Elio a true peoples car.

Taz is really long.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This:

"These fundraising efforts are important to our continued success. Our last fundraising initiative in March yielded enough investment to begin building our fifth generation prototype, the P5. The latest effort will help fund the P6 through P30 so we can do some important validation and testing work."

That "latest effort" is the stock sale they hope will net $25M. They already have a drivable model. I don't understand how the additional prototypes can be so expensive and why so many are necessary. Im sure someone well versed in this industry can, but I can't.

The 5-star safety rating seemed like a voluntary goal. I don't think a certified test methodology exists for a 3-wheel vehicle, so who comes up with that? How long is that going to take to hash out? If you look at the cheap pieces of junk that college kids buy now I am sure they are no where near 5-star.

Elio v1.0 should keep me dry, perform decently (accel, brake), and save me gas money. I honestly don't expect more for $7K. I ride a motorcycle, so I've made peace with my chances of demise.

You can put all this extra safety crap in Elio v2.0 (notice I said EXTRA, not basic!).

So KenK, when it is called KenK Motors you get to make the decisions. But since it isn't called that, you don't get to decide anything.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I want 5 airbags. What I believe I have heard Paul Elio himself say is that there is no 5-star certification process for an auto-cycle. Getting that seems extraneous to me. Just put in the 5 bags and call it good. This will probably be the only auto-cycle for some time, so no matter what, for awhile it's going to have both the best AND the worst crash test performance of any auto-cycle ever rated. This is assuming that a portion of the P6-P30 group is slotted for controlled demolition. If not, what on earth do you need 25 prototypes for? I really want to know.

I'm just frustrated by the snails pace like everyone else. My $1K all-in went out March 2014 and now I am seriously considering a $5K stock purchase, but these latest plans of EM... they do not inspire confidence. That worries me because I am a fairly patient person, and if this has me rattled... I'm genuinely concerned about the current public perception of this venture. The one thing I do get to decide is if EM gets any more of my money.

So anyway, I guess I'm done with this thread. I'll go back to yelling at YouTube.

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you are going to build a box and you think you need 6 nails, do you get just 6 nails?

What if you bend 1 or 2? What if you discover that it will take 10 nails to make the box strong?

If you plan and have extra nails then if you need them they are available. If more nails aren’t used they are put aside.

Or the case of ELIO, they can decide to make only the # of P-series that it takes to successfully complete the testing.

The rest will not need to be built. If things go well ELIO can proceed to the production phase then they are ready, without building all of the P_series.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I want 5 airbags. What I believe I have heard Paul Elio himself say is that there is no 5-star certification process for an auto-cycle. Getting that seems extraneous to me. Just put in the 5 bags and call it good. This will probably be the only auto-cycle for some time, so no matter what, for awhile it's going to have both the best AND the worst crash test performance of any auto-cycle ever rated. This is assuming that a portion of the P6-P30 group is slotted for controlled demolition. If not, what on earth do you need 25 prototypes for? I really want to know.

I'm just frustrated by the snails pace like everyone else. My $1K all-in went out March 2014 and now I am seriously considering a $5K stock purchase, but these latest plans of EM... they do not inspire confidence. That worries me because I am a fairly patient person, and if this has me rattled... I'm genuinely concerned about the current public perception of this venture. The one thing I do get to decide is if EM gets any more of my money.

So anyway, I guess I'm done with this thread. I'll go back to yelling at YouTube.

Now this is a snails pace bro! :D

aullam_typepad_com__a_6a00d8341c683453ef0120a596dac8970b_pi_.jpg

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The safety features have always been a part of the Elio, and they are not "extra" as you claim they are KenK.
Elio Motors is not going to build a safe and a non-safe model just for you.
The Elio is being built for the masses, not individuals.
If you have an argument with this I suggest you take it up with the people at Elio Motors.
Venting about it in here is not a subject we support in the Elio Owners Group.

WE DO SUPPORT VENTING IN THE ELIO OWNERS GROUP! We want EVERYONE to feel welcome to post criticisms as well as kudos. You may not agree with the message, but as long as the language is acceptable and no direct attacks were made in the message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a former moderator, I feel all discussion about the Elio should be welcome on this forum. Positive or negative views should be welcome. No personal attacks or crude language should be acceptable. An open and honest discussion was the basis for the founding of our country. So, wouldn't it be the cornerstone for the founding of the Elio.

Top Bottom