• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not License Out The Production Of The Elio?

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It’s not just business. EM (Elio Marketing) was a highly successful marketing venture making millions for the principle players over nearly a decade. The SEC rules, should never have been changed back to allow small investors to throw money at a company with no product to sell. That’s not a viable business and/or safe investment. Those high risk investments should be left to the VC Market Place not mom’s and pop’s with emotional ties betting on a dream. With that said, I have recently invested in a new vehicle startup under the assumption that I will lose it all and not looking for gain. Only my opinion and admit to having been mistaken a couple times in the past. :)
Third times a charm

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess is that there has never been anyone else to step in from day one. It was just wishful thinking by many because they wanted to believe that people were waiting in line to fund Elio because it was just the right thing to do to save America and whatever else. In the end, it's just business.
Wasn't just wishful thinking, they alluded to having backers interested.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't just wishful thinking, they alluded to having backers interested.

Of course they did, who would send in money if they didn’t? Aye, that’s the rub...

I respectfully disagree with Rick tho about opening investment opportunities to the little guy. Just as we get to share possible profits, we share the risks: I have no problem with that. But the info put out needs to be accurate, truthful, and complete. It remains to be seen if that part of the equation balances out.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to the OP, I've seen plenty of times where people have patents and try to license the idea to others. 100% of the time, they are rejected unless they have a proven item that does everything they say it does. When Elio gets the $85M they need to finish the car, then they can explore licensing it out to others, not before. Maybe when they get the $100M, they can pay off whatever they owe in fines and back payments. Then take the rest and only use it on finishing the car. No shows, no manufacturing, nothing. Just 100% of that funding to have a production ready and proven product. Don't spend 35% of it on shows and lobbyists.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose I should have expected a circle jerk of Elio bashing by the usual suspects.
So:

Paul wants to prove that he can build this in North America despite the high cost of labor, etc.

Please visit the official site and learn about the Elio story.
https://www.eliomotors.com/features/#the-4-musts

I appreciate the link, I've been here longer than you and am quite familiar with "the 4 musts".

Production is easy, finding the money it ain't.

No, Production is NOT easy. And it takes money, which is NOT easy.
Thus the suggestion of licensing.

Back to the OP, I've seen plenty of times where people have patents and try to license the idea to others. 100% of the time, they are rejected unless they have a proven item that does everything they say it does. When Elio gets the $85M they need to finish the car, then they can explore licensing it out to others, not before. Maybe when they get the $100M, they can pay off whatever they owe in fines and back payments. Then take the rest and only use it on finishing the car. No shows, no manufacturing, nothing. Just 100% of that funding to have a production ready and proven product. Don't spend 35% of it on shows and lobbyists.

Hmm. where to start here....

First sentence is just plain wrong, many investments came from concepts.
Second sentence is something a first year business student would laugh at.
Sentence 3-6 = FUD.

Guess I was throwing pearls to swine here.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of course they did, who would send in money if they didn’t? Aye, that’s the rub...

I respectfully disagree with Rick tho about opening investment opportunities to the little guy. Just as we get to share possible profits, we share the risks: I have no problem with that. But the info put out needs to be accurate, truthful, and complete. It remains to be seen if that part of the equation balances out.
If the information put out was accurate, truthful, and complete protecting the small individual investor would be a non-issue. Emotional ties to a potential product and those overly optimistic investors don’t want to hear a single negative truth or alternate point of view. Keep in mind, I don’t really care what others do with their money. Just be be aware that it’s a high risk venture capital investment; be prepared to lose it all.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sentence 3-6 = FUD.

Please supply examples to to support your claims. I'd appreciate it.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the link, I've been here longer than you and am quite familiar with "the 4 musts".
It sure sounded like you was saying "why not just build it over seas directly or indirectly?". Which just doesn't co-side with Paul's dream. He even gets upsets when others say "why don't you just build it overseas" or if someone says its a scam. I not so sure now, but I do believe originally he really believed he could pull it off.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please supply examples to to support your claims. I'd appreciate it.

Off the top of my head:

ARM CPU is a prime example.
You know, the CPU running almost EVERY phone.

I believe Electrical Mechanica is also adopting this stragedy.

It sure sounded like you was saying "why not just build it over seas directly or indirectly?". Which just doesn't co-side with Paul's dream. He even gets upsets when others say "why don't you just build it overseas" or if someone says its a scam. I not so sure now, but I do believe originally he really believed he could pull it off.

Ok, so Paul being stubborn.
I can accept that.
But business is about compromise.
Hopefully he gets this.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suppose I should have expected a circle jerk of Elio bashing by the usual suspects.
So:

No, Production is NOT easy. And it takes money, which is NOT easy.
Thus the suggestion of licensing.

Sentence 3-6 = FUD.

wrong, production is easy if you have the money just like I said except I said money is not easy to obtain. There, I just rephrased it so you get my meaning. :D Now what you're suggesting about the ELIO licensing, that's hard. Read up on the replies and learn.

Top Bottom