• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Dmv In Ct Welcome The Elio?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey now this is pretty cool, good to hear. I live 15 mi from the NE border, would like to be able to drive my Elio in NE without a bleeping helmet. :D

This is a decent short article on the NE helmet law and Elio Motors:

http://journalstar.com/legislature/...cle_e25632c2-5ffc-55fe-91fa-65e8fd4a94fd.html

This article has nice photo of the Elio but only the briefest of mentions:
The daylong hearing focused on alternative transportation methods in Nebraska, also touching on bicycle safety and how helmet laws pertain to the three-wheeled Elio vehicle.
http://www.omaha.com/money/lawmaker...cle_abca5144-39ca-11e4-9fea-0017a43b2370.html

This is all just more proof that Elio Motors is working on all the angles to make this project successful. :)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
did my research, the Elio would only be allowed to be driven on secondary roads at speeds up to 45mph - correction only on roads posted at 45mph or less and it is Maine. What on earth are these people thinking of! Surely they are not so set on being different that they will deny residents this wonderful means of transportation. Sigh. I'm sure glad I live in Oregon. :) Z
I live in Maine and ride motorcycles (dual sport) I'm curious what information you're referencing that a motorcycle (Elio will probably be classified as a motorcycle in Maine I am waiting written verification from our DMV) would only be allowed on secondary roads and drive at less than 45mph. The Elio far surpasses the minimum cc's required for travel on Maine interstate. It is clearly not restricted in our current Turnpike Authority rules http://www.maineturnpike.com/Business-With-MTA/Policies-Rules.aspx#Section 7411

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in Maine and ride motorcycles (dual sport) I'm curious what information you're referencing that a motorcycle (Elio will probably be classified as a motorcycle in Maine I am waiting written verification from our DMV) would only be allowed on secondary roads and drive at less than 45mph. The Elio far surpasses the minimum cc's required for travel on Maine interstate. It is clearly not restricted in our current Turnpike Authority rules http://www.maineturnpike.com/Business-With-MTA/Policies-Rules.aspx#Section 7411
I usually did my research on DMV websites so I have to assume that is where I found it. I was doing this research back in March and honestly don't have all the information you need. Turnpike authority rules would not have been in my frame of reference because I didn't know there was such a thing. That is one of the reasons I finally gave up. I was spending hours and finding so little information that it became way to overwhelming. I'm retired but I also have a life and spending all my time on state dmv sites was not my idea of a life. I apologize for not having more complete information for you. :-) Z

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
FEAR NOT ! fellow CT. future owners. CT. will be more than happy to take your automobile/car registration/title money, IF the vehicle is C.A.R.B. approved.
The other federal cert's matter, but without c.a.r.b. approval (since 2008) you will not register any new vehicle in CT.

I found this out,the hard way, on a china motorcycle and sold it out of state.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
FEAR NOT ! fellow CT. future owners. CT. will be more than happy to take your automobile/car registration/title money, IF the vehicle is C.A.R.B. approved.
The other federal cert's matter, but without c.a.r.b. approval (since 2008) you will not register any new vehicle in CT.

I found this out,the hard way, on a china motorcycle and sold it out of state.

This will not be an issue at all as Elio Motors intents to sell this vehicle in CA so they will ensure it is CARB certified.

As the Elio engine is being designed to car standards and is very fuel efficient it will also be very emissions friendly and will likely even meet the car standard even if it does not need to as it will be a motorcycle which has more lenient CARB standards.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
New manufacturers in CT. must be on the "LIST" and pay an annual fee ( $2500.00),as do ALL major mfgs.

No wonder new vehicles cost so much... and why most people go thru a Dealership.

Vehicle types that must have a VIN verified at a DMV Inspection Lane:
    • Three-wheeled vehicles, except Harley Davidson, and Can Am (Spyder);
  • click on "our approved list of manufacturers" above. ^

Last edited:
Top Bottom