• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing is, someone would pay more than that for just the frame as a base to build their own toy, as I recall several people on here have said.
Selling the thing so close to the cost of the base components means it can't go very much lower.
Yes, ('course I'm one of those) and the other benefit, it's already licensed. That's a boon for a DIY project vehicle.

I guarantee there will be a lively 'lowcost' type kit market to fill the dreams of us car-nutty dreamers.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
Pics please :)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that as long as there's a waiting list for the Elio, a person would be able to sell theirs for the same price they paid for it, or maybe even more...after production catches up with demand, depreciation should be no more or less than that of any vehicle...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks. The 60 year old man treats it with a lot more respect than the 18 year old kid that built it, but it sure takes me back. Know what the buggy, the tractor, and the wife have in common?
They're built with all the weight in the rear.

let me guess ..:confused:.. a 60 yer old many whose wife doesn't read this forum ..:)

Jim

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dune Buggies made with old VW engines and frames are Hilter's Revenge.
BTW, I plan to sell my Elio the moment I get it, HA HA, Just kidding.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still nearly a year from delivery of the first production articles, maybe this question is a little premature. How well do you think a judiciously-optioned and carefully-maintained Elio will hold its value?

My thinking is that if the brand is successful, and they prove the reliability designed into them, their resale value should stand up quite well. Conventional cars seem to lose about half their sticker price after about 5 years. Some perform better, some worse. But when you are dealing with a $6,800 price class, while a 50% depreciation, in dollar terms, isn't that bad, I wonder where the breaking point is for people looking for inexpensive used transportation when they could simply buy a new one with a full warranty for a few dollars more. Will that artificially depress the market for used Elios? Or will demand be so high and deliveries be long enough to encourage someone wanting an Elio right now to go ahead and pick up a used one to avoid the delay?
I think as long as the car is not ragged out and is still running, you will all ways get at least 2 maybe 3K out of a five year old car with over a 100K. This means a new car every five years with free up grades.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom