• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Window Tints

Ralphe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, absolutely necessary in the desert, lived in the phoenix area for 11 years, and the first thing I did to the car was to have the windows tinted, the second was to get a dash mat.
Sometimes I wear cotton gloves, if I come out of the store, or movie, til the AC cools off the steering wheel...I've become a "Pansy" in my old age.

Last edited:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I wear cotton gloves, if I come out of the store, or movie, til the AC cools off the steering wheel...I've become a "Pansy" in my old age.
Some of the folks that make dash mats also make steering wheel covers that are sjip-on/slip-off and make a huge difference in steering wheel temperature.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those of you wanting to get darker window tints, this link will show you what is legal in each state. http://www.altamereokc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/US-State-Window-Tinting-Law-Chart.pdf

What tints would meet legal requirements nationally?
4 states simply don't permit tinting, for the rest
Windshield = No Tint
Side windows = 70%
I don't think there is any enforcement in New Mexico because many have tints that look like midnight black and no possibility of seeing into the vehicle

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there is any enforcement in New Mexico because many have tints that look like midnight black and no possibility of seeing into the vehicle
It may not be enforced but it is on the books, and is one of the most lenient states. As long as you have 20% transparency any side and rear you are OK. That is pretty dark. Oklahoma is 25% New York by comparison is 70% on all sides so long as reflective metallic film is not used, back window is unrestricted.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do tint rules even apply? It is a motorcycle technically.
You'll find these laws are all inclusive using words like "vehicle". Otherwise they'd have to write one for cars another for pick-ups etc. If you motorcycle has windows it will have to follow this law.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom