• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amazing, just amazing :rolleyes: , when it goes back up a qurter, wonder if they will trade it in for a Prious?
too easy to forget when you couldn't give away the large gas guzzlers, and had to pay a premium for a hybrid.
We do indeed. as a country love our cars and the gas to make 'em go. Considering that we burn 25% of the worlds consumption.

CherylM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I think the marketing as an "and" car and the low first cost will insulate the Elio from the demand being so closely tied to gas prices. Right now my only vehicle is a full sized pickup because I could only afford one vehicle and needed towing capacity. The desire to have a daily driver/road warrior vehicle is about keeping miles off my truck and ease of parking in crowded parking lots, and a $20 or $30 swing at the pumps doesn't really change that. At under $10K, I can justify owning a second vehicle. The fact that gas prices are cheaper only means that I'll have more money available in my transportation budget each month. And all those folks that did pick their vehicle size based on gas prices can rush out to get an Elio when the gas prices go back up.

The real question is whether the driving experience will live up to our expectations. If I get the same grin I get from using all the power of my V8, I'll spend plenty of time in the Elio. If it feels like an economy car and can't keep up with interstate driving, I won't.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CherylM, welcome! If we could get away with one car we sure would but we need 2 of them, one of which is a pickup at this point. Hopefully you will get the same size of grin driving the E-car as you do your V8, it will be for another reason though. You'll be getting a great vehicle for a lot less, use a lot less gas (regardless of price), drive a vehicle that will turn heads and just that je ne c'est quoi of driving this thing! Sadly and realistically it will probably feel like an economy car but that isn't to say an econo-box! As far as keeping up to interstate traffic, unless they go a lot faster than traffic out here that should be no problem (100 mph top speed, 0-60 in 9 or 10 seconds, not asphalt melting but respectable, it is 3 cyl. remember!). It's just a whole new and better made creature we are looking at here and I think it will be a hoot (my emotional reaction), the great thing is it does a lot more that's good for the world and the country (it's a win-win!).

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Light vehicles SUV's up 4.5%, Light duty pickup trucks up 9.2%..............alternative vehicles like hybrids, electrics, and compacts are down 7.2%. A small % of Americans actually change there buying habits with lowering gas prices.

Good stuff Rick, thanks! Can you provide a link, I'd like to learn more.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will not have the V8 power factor that puts a big grin on your face, but it will have the 3 cylinder, narrow light wieght driving fun factor that will actually increase your smiles per hour.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
as has been noted, historically when the price of gas goes down so does the sale of small, fuel efficient vehicles .... will it have an impact on EM's sales, probably a small (read that as very small) one .... I do believe that EM has an edge because of its uniqueness and and price point .... I'd still buy an Elio if gas was high test gas was 19.9 cents a gallon (yep, I have paid that for Super Shell) because it is a vehicle that appeals to me .... if I didn't like the styling and it got 100 mpg, I doubt I'd buy one at any price regardless of the cost of gas

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, if it's not a pickup, it's an SUV. I know there are legitimate needs for both, what frosts my cookies are those that get them because they are vehicle equivalent of Paris Hilton's little dog, an accessory. They are cool looking, they are big, but haul something in my pickup or a bunch of kids in the SUV? Heavens NO! It might scratch the paint/get it dirty!

CherylM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
The Elio will not have the V8 power factor that puts a big grin on your face, but it will have the 3 cylinder, narrow light wieght driving fun factor that will actually increase your smiles per hour.

That's what I'm hoping. I used to have a Ninja 250 that was enough to get myself in plenty of trouble, but felt like I was going to get blown away anytime something big passed me. I'm most definitely getting a stick shift to maximize the fun factor (and will curse it in DC traffic).

Top Bottom