• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

corvairbob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Gas today in Las Cruces is down to $1.81 and it still will have no impact on my decision to buy my Elio. I will be buying my Elio even if the gas goes down to 1961 prices of 25 cents per gallon

same here, no matter the price of gas i still want the mileage. plus a smaller cabin will heat and faster cool faster. besides it look cool and is different.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
If folks were smart they would take this opportunity to save cash, but that is typically not the american way. I took this opportunity to unload my 2006 unlimited rubicon averaging 11mpg for a 2010 low mileage prius and 3k cash in my pocket. Now is the time to offload the gas guzzlers if you got them, they are getting top dollar.

Gas will go back up, so in the short term it may hurt high efficiency cars, but it will come back around. I look forward to getting my Elio regardless of gas prices.
Welcome :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think what it shoes is that American motorists, as a demographic, don't want small cars. They only tolerate them because of the price of gas.
Gas guzzlers are a very small percentage of new vehicle sales. Many of those are pickups and larger family vehicles which the small car will never replace but can become more efficient. I think there is a huge market for small, cool car designs (most are not) and enclosed cabin motorcycles (coming soon) designed as single driver commuters, or city vehicles, and fun weekend recreational rides. They have to be ultra fun to ride/drive and not look like clown cars.......and of course affordability would be a plus.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I fill up my Ford 250 I feel as though I'm tossing a hundred dollar bill on the ground .i need a truck on a daily basis but 15 mpg no matter if gas was at $2.00 PG it sucks .I drive a Ford Fiesta when ever possible and I feel good about it .I'll feel even better if they ever produce the Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we just returned from a thousand plus mile round trip from our home in central NC to the mountains of east central Kentucky for Christmas .... on the way we stopped at the Pilot at Tennessee I-75 exit 141 where on the way out we filled the truck for $2.019 which was the lowest price we have paid since purchasing the truck in December 2011 ..:).. today on the way back we filled once again at the same station where we paid $1.999 ..:D.. unfortunately, with our return to high fuel tax NC reality has set back in and even with my wife having built up 20 cents per gallon discount at Kroger, we still won't touch those prices

Jim

Top Bottom