• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

With Gas Prices Falling, Will That Impact Sales Of High Eff Cars?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else but politicians calling for higher taxes on fuel may need to pay heed to the unrest with the establishment shown in the recent election .... I suspect whoever runs against them would have a field day with running ads against them

Jim

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We Americans are addicted to gasoline. Plain and simple. For most people, that addiction means that they don't seek a way to reduce the money that is spent on gasoline. Yet when gas prices go down, short-term memory still reigns supreme, and they feed that addiction and buy gas guzzlers. Then when gas goes back up soon, they'll go back to ignoring how much they (really) spend on gasoline. Many Americans will gladly increase their debt to have gas guzzlers. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there ya go.

IMO, I don't know if lower gas prices means a reduction in high-efficiency vehicle sales. Seems unlikely that a person in November was thinking of buying a Prius, and now will buy a Highlander SUV. Well, anyone except males under 24 yrs old. lol

I'm thinking the used car market for 6- and 8-cyl engines might be moving to a sellers market now. :) And, I bet sales of scooters will be going down.

I never understood this train of thought...whether gas is $2 or $4, my vehicle needs don't change. I'm not gonna run out and buy a 10 MPG gas hog just because gas is $2...I'll just pay less...and these low prices won't last, they'll be back over $3 in no time...

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I never understood this train of thought...whether gas is $2 or $4, my vehicle needs don't change. I'm not gonna run out and buy a 10 MPG gas hog just because gas is $2...I'll just pay less...and these low prices won't last, they'll be back over $3 in no time...

I totally agree with you and feel the same way. There are those however that want bigger and fancier, and they'll use the $2 / gallon as an excuse. When the price goes up, they may or may not complain, but they certainly won't regret buying the gas hog, because it's more expensive / bigger / 4-wheel drive. They won't think about the higher gas costs.

It takes all kinds! :)

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only read the OP....

IMHO, yes, this will slightly reduce interest in the Elio. It still is a very inexpensive 2nd/3rd car. It still is a new car vs buying a used one. It still would make a good first car for a HS/college student.

I think as Elio starts to present at auto shows, they may want to emphasize performance (handling, fun factor) as well as high mpg.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only read the OP....

IMHO, yes, this will slightly reduce interest in the Elio. It still is a very inexpensive 2nd/3rd car. It still is a new car vs buying a used one. It still would make a good first car for a HS/college student.

I think as Elio starts to present at auto shows, they may want to emphasize performance (handling, fun factor) as well as high mpg.
Gas today in Las Cruces is $1.81 and it still hasn't changed my mind about the Elio. I will be buying it no matter what the price of gas is for all the reasons above.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only read the OP....

In the future, there will no doubt be a high performance Elio option......and it may well be electric.

Top Bottom