• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Year Around Driving

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Living in Ohio, I plan on driving mine all year long with the addition of snow tires.... who else?
I plan on driving my Elio year around because it will be my only vehicle. If it snows, I will simply have to stay home if it is a lot of snow. That would be extremely rare for where I live. I do drive to Medford, OR once a month for a meeting. In the 3 years I have been going I have never missed because of weather. I have only missed when out of state or having had surgery so couldn't drive or twice when a special friend came to visit on her way from Portland to Eureka, CA. Since I rarely see her I missed the meetings to spend the time with her. I do carry cables in my Camry but am physically unable to put them on. So far I have never needed them, thank goodness. It is a 200 mile RT through the mountains with 4 passes and lots of truck traffic. Thanks to the truck traffic the roads are kept pretty clear in the winter. :) Z

Last edited:

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only a light dusting of snow for my baby. I have a 'tank' a.k.a. Honda Element with AWD for snow. Not concerned about the ability of the Elio to handle a normal amount of snow or ice, just concerned about all the other idiots out there who can't drive because they're sending text messages. Whenever it's bad weather I always take 'the Tank'. I was T-boned by a Dodge Ram pickup in my '07 Element and it saved my life. Spent 4 days in intensive care, but walked out. Went out and bought an '08 Element to replace the one that was totaled. That's my ride of choice for the idiot drivers in inclement weather, not my Elio.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Living in Ohio, I plan on driving mine all year long with the addition of snow tires.... who else?

Yeah, for those of us that have the Elio as a secondary vehicle... my Elio will be driven all year long. My better half will get it in the summer whilst I commute on the motorcycle, and in the winter I'll drive the Elio while she drives the Chevy Tahoe. Where I live, there may be 1-3 days during the winter when the Elio needs to stay home. A reasonable thing to expect and not a big problem to handle.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan to drive it year round, but just like I do now, I'll take the truck when the going is tough.

Our highway departments up here are (despite our constant complaining about them) top notch, days I need 4x4 to get where I'm going are actually few and far between.

The composite body panels will be welcomed with open arms in the war on rust, I just hope the chassis comes with good corrosion protection.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although I want the Elio for my daily commute, I'll probably take it everywhere when riding single - unless I'm hauling large loads of groceries or hardware for weekend projects. Riding 2-up, my wife and I can do daytrips - maybe long weekends with the trike, but weather is another question.

I'm not overly concerned with the crashworthiness of the Elio in traffic, but in severe weather or other marginal driving conditions, my first choice is to stay home and off the road. Most of the time, at least here on the South Coast, storms pass quickly and an hour or two delay in your departure can lower your chances of an accident dramatically. It's not so much the weather itself, but the incredible foolishness it seems to inspire in other drivers. Me, I'll just pour another cup of coffee and check my news browsers and e-mail. It's not as though I'm mushing through the storm to deliver the life-saving serum to Nome . . . I'm going to work. I'll wait for Mr. Darwin to take care of the folks out on the road in this . . . call it thinning the herd, or more properly, chlorinating the gene pool.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most likely my elio will see its most use in early spring and late fall. I'll drive it in the summer if I don't want to take a bike and I hope to drive it most days in the winter unless there is significant snow forecast/falling in which case it will be back into the truck.

Top Bottom