• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Year Around Driving

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From my memory of driving in heavy snow in Vermont and Idaho, you may want to park the Elio for a while. Icy tire tracks can develop in the road pretty quickly. This isn't a problem for the front wheels. The problem is that between the tire tracks -- where the centered rear wheel is -- is often a mound of icy lumpy snow that can reach right up to the chassis of a normal car. The rear wheel will have a hard time riding on top of the mound.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't really think the problem is going to be the mound of snow between the two tire tracks but where someone has turned off the road and left a new rut diagonally across the track between the two front wheel tracks. If the tail wheel drops into the diagonal rut you could end up with one front wheel and the tail wheel in one rut and the other front wheel on top of the snow. That could be a challenge especially if it occurred at any speed much faster than a walk.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
What amazes me is that no matter what I've driven, 1986 Toyota Celica GT, 1986 Oldmobile Cutlass Ciera, 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1994 Honda Accord, 1994 Ford Crown Vic, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, I've never had a problem in snow despite people in SUVs and Jeeps and all other sorts of 4x4 vehicles littering the ditches and telephone poles.

Of those, only the Lumina and both Grand Prix have been my own, the rest were my parents'. My first 2 cars were totaled within 2 years as a teen - one in a crash and the other going down a soft sand road in the dark and bottoming out on a section that had been washed out at 60mph and breaking the frame, my 2nd Grand Prix is my baby and have been driving it for a decade come November & is strictly a creature of pavement.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been riding motorcycle from 2008 to today and many more to go before I get the Elio Motor. I have riding in summer, fall, winter and spring for a long time. I ride in the rain, light snow, and very hot day, and very cold day like 10 degree f. This is my only vehicle I have, and my wife have a 2009 Chev Aveo. I get to drive my wife car about 5 to 10%. When I get the new True Blue Elio my motorcycle will become 5 to 10% use. I am hoping to get my Elio by around December 2015. I put in my $100 reserve back in June and I will put in $400 in near future to make it a $500 reserve. Guy, put in a $100 or more to reserve your newest Elio. When time to pick up your newest Elio vehicle, it will be all worth waiting for.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like my pajamas, I plan to sleep in my Elio, most nights! :)

Well. . . . . .maybe that's a small stretch of the imagination, but for sure, I DO sleep with it in my dreams, most nights right now! :D

Top Bottom