• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yep, I Too Got Impatient...

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Iowa, it's required to take the motorcycle safety course to get the motorcycle endorsement on your license.

I've never heard that. I have many MC riding buddies and the course was always just something that was more in-depth and you could do and use that certificate to waive the riding portion of the test at the DMV. Otherwise I could just go in, pass the written test and take the DMV riding test and be done.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what it started out as here; then they came up with the different motor size classification endorsements (1-249cc 1, 250-749cc 2, 750-unlimited 3).
And now they added 2-wheel, 3-wheel Sidecar, 3-wheel trike, 3-wheel reverse trike. Anything to get you back in to take a test and riding test (plus the money that goes along with it. When I got my endorsement, they only had 1 class of endorsement; so they would get people down there with a 75cc scooter, take the riding test, and then jump on a Harley and go roaring off. Luckily they did put anyone who had the early endorsements at a class 3 two wheel endorsement.
In the 90's they would give you an insurance discount if you took the Safety Class.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
4) Become an extremely defensive driver. They'll cover this in your safety course, but once you get out there and you're riding, take the safety course's advice and look for every potential problem at intersections.

Absolutely! Ride like you are completely invisible, because sometimes you are. Stay out of people's blind spots, actively watch for people who might try to merge on top of you or turn left into you, etc. You get pretty good at picking up behavioral cues while on the road, often you can tell when someone is on their phone before you can even see the driver.

I always wear my gear when I ride, even when it is over 100 degrees here. Full face helmet, padded leather jacket (perforated for the warm days, non-perf for the winter), leather gloves, calf length leather boots, and kevlar reinforced jeans. I used to wear leather pants too but they got to be a bit much for me when I moved to Texas. I also used to have an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket and pants that I really wish I never sold. Not as heavy as leather and oh so versatile.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Make sure the instructor covers counter (or reverse) steering. It seems like half the MC accidents I read about occur on a curve. In several years of riding it only was needed once. Luckily I was able to brake before going into the ditch--I had not been taught what to do.

Hmm, my instructor may have covered the counter or reverse steering, but my feeble memory is coming up blank. What is it, and what's the scenario when it's good to use it?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, my instructor may have covered the counter or reverse steering, but my feeble memory is coming up blank. What is it, and what's the scenario when it's good to use it?

You always use it when turning when not at extremely low speed, but most ordinary riders who do not take the training do not know it. Turn the bars/wheel to the right, the bike leans and turns left.

"Look left, push left (hand) go left. Look right, push right (hand), go right."

Just knowing how it works helps with better control.

Also keep in mind that the bike tends to go where you look, so if you do not want to hit something do not stare at it but look where you want to be.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
You always use it when turning when not at extremely low speed, but most ordinary riders who do not take the training do not know it. Turn the bars/wheel to the right, the bike leans and turns left.

"Look left, push left (hand) go left. Look right, push right (hand), go right."

Just knowing how it works helps with better control.

Also keep in mind that the bike tends to go where you look, so if you do not want to hit something do not stare at it but look where you want to be.

Ah yes, they did cover that, thanks Maurtis. I struggled with the idea in the classroom, but once out riding, you start to get it figured out.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard once of something that parents can do to help their kids. When out driving, have them count motorcycles. It helps them learn more about picking them out and then, later in life, they notice them better. I thought it was pretty cool advice.

That is an outstanding idea!
Riding with my mother (in her car) quite a few years ago, she looked left (clear), she looked right (Harley, half block away), and pulled out right in front of him! Fortunately for him, he expected her to pull out and he avoided hitting us.
Like most "non-riders" it just didn't register in her brain.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely! Ride like you are completely invisible, because sometimes you are. Stay out of people's blind spots, actively watch for people who might try to merge on top of you or turn left into you, etc. You get pretty good at picking up behavioral cues while on the road, often you can tell when someone is on their phone before you can even see the driver.

I always wear my gear when I ride, even when it is over 100 degrees here. Full face helmet, padded leather jacket (perforated for the warm days, non-perf for the winter), leather gloves, calf length leather boots, and kevlar reinforced jeans. I used to wear leather pants too but they got to be a bit much for me when I moved to Texas. I also used to have an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket and pants that I really wish I never sold. Not as heavy as leather and oh so versatile.
I wore just regular jeans when I rode; helmet is a law in WA & OR so that was a natural; leather jacket in temps below 70; other times, not so much; but always, ALWAYS leather boots, I like my ankles and want to keep them attached and working and gloves (another always) different thickness according to the weather.
When I see people ride with tennis shoes, shorts, tank top and a full face helmet; the only thing that goes through my mind is "he hasn't gone down yet".

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Xelement_Jacket.jpg

Mesh and pads. While you're moving, it's like going bare-chested.
It doesn't matter how hot it is. I've always got at least this...
A 3/4 Lid, Jeans, Finger-less Gloves and Milwaukee Boots on.

Top Bottom