• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yep, I Too Got Impatient...

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Iowa doesn't require helmets; but I would STRONGLY support a measure that said riding without a helmet gives your approval of being an organ donor without any further permission from your family and regardless of how your license is tagged, if you should die of an accident while riding without a helmet. My dad, as a small town doctor, had to make far, far, far too many early morning visits with the sheriff to inform families that their son/husband/daddy was not coming home.

One of my friends in college was a consistent helmet wearer while riding his bicycle. He died the one time he didn't wear a helmet, when he was riding his bicycle home late one night, a short distance from a friend's house to his house. He came to a stop sign, and apparently couldn't get his foot out of the pedal strap in time. He fell to his right and smashed his head on the curb. This happened about 2AM; the body was not found until almost 6 the next morning. And this, mind you, was while riding a bicycle, not a motorcycle. He left behind a girlfriend who was 3 months pregnant.

I wish everybody would make the same decision and decide to wear a helmet but as I said, I think everybody should be allowed to make their own decision; even if they are stupid and end up killing themselves.

The problem is that lots of things can hurt, maim, or kill you. As a motorcyclist, I'm all too familiar with people that think of me as somebody with a death wish. This coming from people that ride bicycles without helmets, drive cars without seat belts, even overeat themselves into girth that is killing their hearts and making them a burden on society. Heck, we even encourage professionals and our own kids to partake in activities such as high contact sports even though we have outstanding evidence as to what it will do to them.

Ultimately I don't think we can legislate, or punish, people because they make choices based on factors that we don't value. If we do, then be careful when somebody comes along and decides that a 3-wheel car isn't as safe as a 4 wheel SUV and ends up taking your elio away.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish everybody would make the same decision and decide to wear a helmet but as I said, I think everybody should be allowed to make their own decision; even if they are stupid and end up killing themselves.

The problem is that lots of things can hurt, maim, or kill you. As a motorcyclist, I'm all too familiar with people that think of me as somebody with a death wish. This coming from people that ride bicycles without helmets, drive cars without seat belts, even overeat themselves into girth that is killing their hearts and making them a burden on society. Heck, we even encourage professionals and our own kids to partake in activities such as high contact sports even though we have outstanding evidence as to what it will do to them.

Ultimately I don't think we can legislate, or punish, people because they make choices based on factors that we don't value. If we do, then be careful when somebody comes along and decides that a 3-wheel car isn't as safe as a 4 wheel SUV and ends up taking your elio away.
I agree with you. Choosing to not wear a helmet or seatbelt has some adverse effects on the person causing the accident that is now charged with manslaughter when the rider may have been able to prevent their death by choosing to protect themselves. Some accidents happen that are simply beyond the control of a driver and it would be difficult for the families and surviving driver to deal with a resulting death that may have been otherwise prevented.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I used to be a member of an ABATE chapter in the Finger Lakes region of New York.
"Let those who ride decide!"

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Iowa doesn't require helmets; but I would STRONGLY support a measure that said riding without a helmet gives your approval of being an organ donor without any further permission from your family and regardless of how your license is tagged, if you should die of an accident while riding without a helmet. My dad, as a small town doctor, had to make far, far, far too many early morning visits with the sheriff to inform families that their son/husband/daddy was not coming home.

One of my friends in college was a consistent helmet wearer while riding his bicycle. He died the one time he didn't wear a helmet, when he was riding his bicycle home late one night, a short distance from a friend's house to his house. He came to a stop sign, and apparently couldn't get his foot out of the pedal strap in time. He fell to his right and smashed his head on the curb. This happened about 2AM; the body was not found until almost 6 the next morning. And this, mind you, was while riding a bicycle, not a motorcycle. He left behind a girlfriend who was 3 months pregnant.
After riding bicycles most of my life, there's absolutely no way I'd ever use pedal straps. That said...

I believe that I would have died in two separate incidents had I not been wearing a helmet while bicycling.
In one incident, my front tire got caught in a set of offset tracks at a crossing. I was thrown over and downward.
The impact cracked the helmet and rang my bell so hard that I nearly passed out. I had symptoms of a concussion.

In the other, I broke three ribs, my jaw, completely shattered the entire length of both collarbones and damaged my hip socket.
While I was laying there, coming in and out of consciousness, the park ranger asked me if the pieces he was holding were my helmet.
One could argue the issue all day long, but it's pretty hard to deny that you're safer with a helmet on while on two wheels.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After riding bicycles most of my life, there's absolutely no way I'd ever use pedal straps. That said...

I believe that I would have died in two separate incidents had I not been wearing a helmet while bicycling.
In one incident, my front tire got caught in a set of offset tracks at a crossing. I was thrown over and downward.
The impact cracked the helmet and rang my bell so hard that I nearly passed out. I had symptoms of a concussion.

In the other, I broke three ribs, my jaw, completely shattered the entire length of both collarbones and damaged my hip socket.
While I was laying there, coming in and out of consciousness, the park ranger asked me if the pieces he was holding were my helmet.
One could argue the issue all day long, but it's pretty hard to deny that you're safer with a helmet on while on two wheels.

Ouch. I've been hurt more and worse on bicycles then I ever have been on a motorcycle. Of course, I wear more gear now :)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been riding for 50 years and still love it, it's cheap therapy !! :p

My very first bike (mine was white) :

hondas65-1965-1-1024x682.jpg

Current ride:

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:
Top Bottom