• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yep, I Too Got Impatient...

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yamaha and Honda make terrific 250s . Several of my buddies have had them . I don't want to startle you , but all of them moved up in power in less than 6 months . The quickest reset was a Marine in Hawaii who went from Vespa to Honda 250 to Harley 883 in less than 45 days :D
He now rides an Indian Dark Horse

I took a 5 year break from riding after my son was born and sold my 1600cc Victory Kingpin in 2007, but the itch eventually got too strong to continue to resist. Since the bike was only to be a commuter I picked up a 2012 Honda CBR250R. Looked sharp, great mileage, cheap, and FUN! Even had a little wind protection. And for a crotch rocket styled bike it had a pretty upright seating position.

20130110_122418.jpg

Having had larger and smaller bikes in the past I figured I knew that I was in for. And if my commute was slower freeways or city streets I might still be on her. But there were days when I was riding into a headwind and could not physically keep up with traffic on I-35, even in a racer's tuck. My 1200 does not have that problem, but also gets about 1/2 the MPG ;)

So I agree with the others, if you start riding regularly do not be surprised if you get the urge to move up in displacement.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I took a 5 year break from riding after my son was born and sold my 1600cc Victory Kingpin in 2007, but the itch eventually got too strong to continue to resist. Since the bike was only to be a commuter I picked up a 2012 Honda CBR250R. Looked sharp, great mileage, cheap, and FUN! Even had a little wind protection. And for a crotch rocket styled bike it had a pretty upright seating position.

20130110_122418.jpg

Having had larger and smaller bikes in the past I figured I knew that I was in for. And if my commute was slower freeways or city streets I might still be on her. But there were days when I was riding into a headwind and could not physically keep up with traffic on I-35, even in a racer's tuck. My 1200 does not have that problem, but also gets about 1/2 the MPG ;)

So I agree with the others, if you start riding regularly do not be surprised if you get the urge to move up in displacement.
Hence the saying "there is no replacement for displacement"

A 1200 is really nice; but you can get that same big bike power, and less weight by running a 750 - 900
I had a 750 Honda cheap because the previous owner scared himself when he rubbed a tall curb in too tight of a turn, and dumped it.
I cleaned it up, gave it a fresh paint job; then bagged it and put a faring and windshield on and rode it for 6 years
Looked like this before
upload_2016-6-23_12-3-43.png

And like this after; difference being the faring, bags and tank were all gloss black (and no antenna)

upload_2016-6-23_12-6-14.png

I put a lot of miles on that scooter.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hence the saying "there is no replacement for displacement"

A 1200 is really nice; but you can get that same big bike power, and less weight by running a 750 - 900
I had a 750 Honda cheap because the previous owner scared himself when he rubbed a tall curb in too tight of a turn, and dumped it.
I cleaned it up, gave it a fresh paint job; then bagged it and put a faring and windshield on and rode it for 6 years
Looked like this before
View attachment 10591

LOVE those old Honda 750s. Freakin' awesome. I had a CB400TII that looked similar, but definitely not the same grunt.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And here am I mourning the loss of my 49cc scooter...

(I bought it with a windfall back in 2008 when gas rose to $4/gal. Since I rarely needed to go outside of town, it was my day-to-day transport. Didn't get as much mpg as I could if I ever lost more than a little weight, but it was a great scooter and really fun to ride around town. It died when some vandals went through the apartment parking lot with a crowbar and took out a bunch of rear windows and basically destroyed my scooter.

The 49cc was great because Iowa law didn't require a motorcycle endorsement for anything smaller than 50cc and a 30mph speed limit. The speed limit on mine was limited by a "governor" which amounted to a washer in the fuel line. After running it for a while the governor apparently evaporated -- honest, officer. Still, with my weight limit I could get it up to 40 only when going downhill with a stiff tailwind.)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And here am I mourning the loss of my 49cc scooter...

(I bought it with a windfall back in 2008 when gas rose to $4/gal. Since I rarely needed to go outside of town, it was my day-to-day transport. Didn't get as much mpg as I could if I ever lost more than a little weight, but it was a great scooter and really fun to ride around town. It died when some vandals went through the apartment parking lot with a crowbar and took out a bunch of rear windows and basically destroyed my scooter.

The 49cc was great because Iowa law didn't require a motorcycle endorsement for anything smaller than 50cc and a 30mph speed limit. The speed limit on mine was limited by a "governor" which amounted to a washer in the fuel line. After running it for a while the governor apparently evaporated -- honest, officer. Still, with my weight limit I could get it up to 40 only when going downhill with a stiff tailwind.)
A washer in the fuel line? Never heard of that one before. Usually they do it in the ignition.

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yamaha and Honda make terrific 250s . Several of my buddies have had them . I don't want to startle you , but all of them moved up in power in less than 6 months . The quickest reset was a Marine in Hawaii who went from Vespa to Honda 250 to Harley 883 in less than 45 days :D
He now rides an Indian Dark Horse

You may very well be right but I definitely do not have the free cash to go any higher for quite some time! Got the payment for my truck, about 12k left on it, the bike was 3k, we're a little upside down on the wife's minivan but I have plans there. Then (hopefully) the Elio in about a year. So I have some stuff out there but we're not buried by any means. But I do need to let the old credit monster cool down for a while, lol

Set you're rules and stick to them; I like it! :thumb:

But I do agree with Hotscoots; you will want something bigger as soon as you start riding on a regular basis.
I don't know your height and weight but I'm 6' and 170 and I have to have 750 or bigger. I like the ability to get out of a bad situation, and smart enough not to try and put myself in one. (I don't play Johnny Racer)
I rode a 650 for a couple of years, and by myself it was ok, but put a second person on, and it's working pretty hard.
The 250 will put the wind in your face, but don't put anyone bigger than 80lbs on the back. 250 is a one person bike.
It will be fun; but once you start riding, you'll find out what kind of "drug" it can be and want more. :thumb:

I'm pretty much the same as you, 6' 2" and around 185. For reasons mentioned above this will be my bike for some time whether I get ants in my pants or not :D

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You may very well be right but I definitely do not have the free cash to go any higher for quite some time! Got the payment for my truck, about 12k left on it, the bike was 3k, we're a little upside down on the wife's minivan but I have plans there. Then (hopefully) the Elio in about a year. So I have some stuff out there but we're not buried by any means. But I do need to let the old credit monster cool down for a while, lol

I'm pretty much the same as you, 6' 2" and around 185. For reasons mentioned above this will be my bike for some time whether I get ants in my pants or not :D
6' 1" 190lb. here. Don't worry, you're gonna love it.
It's been around since 1988. Aftermarket mods are plentiful and dirt cheap.
I haven't done it yet, but I'll have no problem with taking my beauty on runs with the big boys.
As stated, it is NOT a 2-up bike, especially @ your size. Think as cramped as "Dumb and Dumber" with two.
But then again, really neither is the 650. For frequent 2-up, 1100 power would be the bare minimum.

If I was forced to make a choice between the dressed 650...
And the dressed 250... I'd keep the 250.
NIMBLE is the word.

Last edited:
Top Bottom