• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

You've Just Gotten Your Elio What Do You Do First?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been there, done that, did a LOT of 'splainin!
Reminds me of a story Dr. Seuss would tell. He did the original drawings advertising FLIT insect spray, which was usually applied using a FLIT Gun (look it up). He was coming back from some award ceremony where he had been presented with an original FLIT gun, and the security people weren't going to let him on the plane with something that looked like a weapon and they had NO idea what it was. Finally Dr. Seuss asked "Do you have any old guys working here, guys like me?" After a bit an older officer came over, took one look, and burst out laughing. He recognized the FLIT gun, hadn't seen one in years, and soon everything was cleared up.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story Dr. Seuss would tell. He did the original drawings advertising FLIT insect spray, which was usually applied using a FLIT Gun (look it up). He was coming back from some award ceremony where he had been presented with an original FLIT gun, and the security people weren't going to let him on the plane with something that looked like a weapon and they had NO idea what it was. Finally Dr. Seuss asked "Do you have any old guys working here, guys like me?" After a bit an older officer came over, took one look, and burst out laughing. He recognized the FLIT gun, hadn't seen one in years, and soon everything was cleared up.
A FLIT gun is an old fashion sprayer

upload_2016-8-1_17-16-53.png

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tool kit + train = no problem. ;)

I have a nifty little canvas tool bag I used to keep behind the driver's seat of my old VW camper. Perfect for the Elio.

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Going to be fun checking a bag full of tools onto the airplane down to Shreveport... :whistle:
Going to do an inspection on an airplane I went through security at Love Field, wearing my FAA cap and everything. I told them as my case went through the X-ray that I have an inspection camera that is in the shape of a pistol. When the case went through, they pulled me aside and questioned me about the camera. I offered to let them take it out and look at it. They just wouldn't believe me. Turns out they weren't concerned that it looked like a gun. They were VERY concerned that it might be a drill!

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Excellent thread. Interesting information on how folks plan arrive in Shreveport to collect their new autocycle, and then how they plan to get it home. Taking a tool kit sounds like a great idea - it may be some distance between PepBoys locations, and they are unlikely to have any actual parts in hand until many months after deliveries begin.
I have an 818 mile drive home, but it shouldn't be ugly. I will make two driving days out of it, day one stopping in for a couple nights at the Navy Lodge in Pensacola, Florida. On day two I will park in front of the National Naval Aviation Museum across the street from the Navy Lodge during the day, and enjoy the museum. Then stop in at the Tallahassee Antique Auto Museum for lunch on the third day.
One of the possibilities I have considered is a wrap that uses Naval aircraft markings. Maybe.
Check out the P-5 marlin in the new building. My dad flew that exact plane when he was in. He's still got log books with the tail number listed.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a carry on Pelican case, a small tool kit and three laptops on my way to company boats to set up a web based maintenance tracking system. The TSA really did not like the three laptop thing... :confused:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The TSA (Taxpayer-Supported Assaulters) may have been concerned about the quantity of lithium-ion batteries. You can't check extra batteries anymore, and are limited to two extras in carry-on if they are greater than 100 Watt-hours.

Top Bottom