• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Zx40-s Ev

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chinese crap !!
That's what they used to say about Japanese and Korean products. As soon as they want to India and China have the resources to build competitive quality and with the control of the workforce build cheaper vehicles.
On the world market, made in The USA, is a fading reminder of what we were, Step into Walmart to see the invasion of Chinese products. ( including foods!!) People shop by price- EM will be successful because of it's price, and mpg.

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what they used to say about Japanese and Korean products. As soon as they want to India and China have the resources to build competitive quality and with the control of the workforce build cheaper vehicles.
On the world market, made in The USA, is a fading reminder of what we were, Step into Walmart to see the invasion of Chinese products. ( including foods!!) People shop by price- EM will be successful because of it's price, and mpg.

China already produces very good vehicles, it's just the same laws and regulations that kept French cars of US roads for decades, are doing the same for Chinese produced ones.

Many times it's because US standards are lagging (on purpose) behind the rest of the world. Take sealed beam headlamps for example: at a time when car manufacturers in Europe had switched to cheaper and better designs, these lamps were still required by the US. Some cars couldn't be imported simply because of their headlamp designs.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
China already produces very good vehicles, it's just the same laws and regulations that kept French cars of US roads for decades, are doing the same for Chinese produced ones.

Many times it's because US standards are lagging (on purpose) behind the rest of the world. Take sealed beam headlamps for example: at a time when car manufacturers in Europe had switched to cheaper and better designs, these lamps were still required by the US. Some cars couldn't be imported simply because of their headlamp designs.
thanks, I don't follow the industry. - Do you know why didn't the French make "adjustments" to get-a-round US requirements

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thanks, I don't follow the industry. - Do you know why didn't the French make "adjustments" to get-a-round US requirements

You are welcome! I don't really follow such things much either.

But I know: For some cars it was the expense, some models couldn't even get imported at all, and overall the French carmakers just kept concentrating on markets without such strict import restrictions, i.e. anywhere else but the US.

The luxury Citroën SM sedan from the 1970's was at some point declared illegal to be imported into the US because of its hydraulic suspension, it had to do with it causing variable bumper height. The advanced lighting system was also not street legal in the US. Today all US cars have similar lighting set-ups....
The same suspension of the SM was later used in the Citroën CX and if you tell me you have ever sat in an upper segment car with better suspension and ride comfort, I might think you have gone crazy. ;) Seriously, a suspension that keeps the car level in curves and while braking, is something no other cars have managed to do until today. Not to speak of being able to hydraulically raise the car to go over obstacles. Also had speedometer numbers rotating and a stationary needle (promise me you won't tell anyone!)

Another thing that caused the French to stop selling cars in the US, was that without an extensive dealer network, people took their French cars to regular mechanics which did not know how to repair them or didn't have the required tools.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yea, that Citroën SM sedan. We had one donated to the VRI way back around 1980. VERY interesting car. Sweet!

It's funny but if the ground sensor had something go wrong, maybe like installing it backward, a small bump could break your suspension, since it would try and 'hit' the bump. But that would be an exceptional event, the things were reliable if nothing else.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are welcome! I don't really follow such things much either.

But I know: For some cars it was the expense, some models couldn't even get imported at all, and overall the French carmakers just kept concentrating on markets without such strict import restrictions, i.e. anywhere else but the US.

The luxury Citroën SM sedan from the 1970's was at some point declared illegal to be imported into the US because of its hydraulic suspension, it had to do with it causing variable bumper height. The advanced lighting system was also not street legal in the US. Today all US cars have similar lighting set-ups....
The same suspension of the SM was later used in the Citroën CX and if you tell me you have ever sat in an upper segment car with better suspension and ride comfort, I might think you have gone crazy. ;) Seriously, a suspension that keeps the car level in curves and while braking, is something no other cars have managed to do until today. Not to speak of being able to hydraulically raise the car to go over obstacles. Also had speedometer numbers rotating and a stationary needle (promise me you won't tell anyone!)

Another thing that caused the French to stop selling cars in the US, was that without an extensive dealer network, people took their French cars to regular mechanics which did not know how to repair them or didn't have the required tools.
thanks- I do remember the car- single spoke steering wheel, and to "jack up" the car to change a flat, I think all you needed was a piece of pipe or a log, by changing the suspension ?

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a shame that the Citi car did not make it.
280px-Citicar.jpg

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yea, that Citroën SM sedan. We had one donated to the VRI way back around 1980. VERY interesting car. Sweet!

It's funny but if the ground sensor had something go wrong, maybe like installing it backward, a small bump could break your suspension, since it would try and 'hit' the bump. But that would be an exceptional event, the things were reliable if nothing else.

I never sat in an SM, but I owned a Citroën CX Pallas, which didn't have these problems, the SM was very advanced for it's time and likely had too many sensors.

The funny thing though for the CX: the less advanced parts, such as the wiring for the electric windows would break and that gave some people the wrong idea that the car was quick break down, which isn't true at all.

Top Bottom