• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Message To The Elio Team

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About $12 for an ELM327 and the App "Torque" which is free will give anyone a simple dash plus have the capability to diagnose obdii issues and read trouble faults and clear them. Shoot, with the cell phone holder stereo thing from Continental, there's an alternate dash right there.
That all digital Elgin dash doesn't do it for me at all as I prefer analog gauges... or digital gauges made to look analog.

So, it is now a non issue, may we count on you for tech support when we all make the conversion?:D
PS Would we have to change the sending units?

HoofHearted

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Nope...
Three steps:
1. You just plug this into your obdii plug in your Elio
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Dia...ie=UTF8&qid=1398533121&sr=8-4&keywords=elm327
2. Download this to your phone: (easier to find in the Google play store)
http://torque-bhp.com/
3. Connect your phone to the Bluetooth plug purchased in step 1.

Enjoy.
Thanks Craig for directing me to this series of posts. As a motorcycle, will the Elio have OBDII ? I don't think the 90 Geo Metro did and don't believe that due to it's simplicity, that it would have needed it. It was "old school" mechanics.
I have an ELM327 and Torque on my Droid X2. It comes in handy.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Craig for directing me to this series of posts. As a motorcycle, will the Elio have OBDII ? I don't think the 90 Geo Metro did and don't believe that due to it's simplicity, that it would have needed it. It was "old school" mechanics.
You will have to get with Ty, he is our resident tech support on this matter.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a Kiwi by PLX Devices as well as the Torque app that I use with my Android devices. Awesome combination.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it isn't "a car" but, OBDII has been mandated since 1996 for all cars sold in the United States. I know I read somewhere that the Elio would have at least limited OBDII support. That would be good. I wouldn't think it would be too much of a stretch to think it would include more useful information that the required emissions stuff. It'd be nice if we could use that for speed, temps, rpm, fuel, instant fuel economy, etc. Car and Driver once said that the single best thing that improved fuel economy in every car they tried it in was an instantaneous MPG display. It seems that drivers tend to try to "beat the game" when they get instant feedback. I literally cut my home fuel bill in half when I installed a Nest thermostat. It's got a little green leaf that shows up when you are being economical. My wife would say "I had to put on a jacket for a bit today in order to keep the leaf." Whatever works, right?

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know it isn't "a car" but, OBDII has been mandated since 1996 for all cars sold in the United States. I know I read somewhere that the Elio would have at least limited OBDII support. That would be good. I wouldn't think it would be too much of a stretch to think it would include more useful information that the required emissions stuff. It'd be nice if we could use that for speed, temps, rpm, fuel, instant fuel economy, etc. Car and Driver once said that the single best thing that improved fuel economy in every car they tried it in was an instantaneous MPG display. It seems that drivers tend to try to "beat the game" when they get instant feedback. I literally cut my home fuel bill in half when I installed a Nest thermostat. It's got a little green leaf that shows up when you are being economical. My wife would say "I had to put on a jacket for a bit today in order to keep the leaf." Whatever works, right?
Even a basic OBDII would have the things you mentioned. One of my questions to the not the readers choice blog was would there be a fuel computer display. (instant MPG, average, eta to empty etc) given it's 84mpg mission and the fact that it wouldn't cost much, it would be antithetical NOT to have one.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even a basic OBDII would have the things you mentioned. One of my questions to the not the readers choice blog was would there be a fuel computer display. (instant MPG, average, eta to empty etc) given it's 84mpg mission and the fact that it wouldn't cost much, it would be antithetical NOT to have one.
I agree. I think that instantaneous MPG display is a must. Ever ask someone what kind of mileage they get and they say something like "I get about 350 miles a tank."? I track my mileage (using "Fuel Log", another app) because I was "growed up" being told that one of the first indicators of car trouble was a drop in mileage. Mileage tracked over time is a better indication of "real mileage" per your personal driving style. Apparently, I'm not the most frugal with the long skinny pedal. (or right hand grip)

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanna know where you got your wife!

Top Bottom