• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Updates On Production

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Attitude?... I think making a decision and sucking with it is admirable in the lead of a car company. Probably none of he people who "hate" he Lord Elgin dash has seen it installed in an Elio. It may just look like it fits perfectly. I prefer needles in my dash but I surely don't see the Lord Elgin dash to be so horrible it would warrant removing it from the vehicle. Seriously, I can't imagine being spun up enough about a dash to go through the effort in removing it. Opinion, butthole, check and check.

when we buy a vehicle we buy it to meet a purpose .... for the most part we also buy with the intent of keeping the vehicle for a considerable length of time .... for that reason we usually custom order our so as to get the features we want .... examples : I kept a custom ordered 1978 Jeep J-10 pickup for 24 years .... we currently have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue, a 2002 Chevy Tahoe, and a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer .... our hope is to keep them for many more years .... I've also ended up customizing every vehicle I've ever owned by adding things that allow it to serve us better and/or just because we want to do so .... it would surprise me greatly if we don't continue in that manner with our Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when we buy a vehicle we buy it to meet a purpose .... for the most part we also buy with the intent of keeping the vehicle for a considerable length of time .... for that reason we usually custom order our so as to get the features we want .... examples : I kept a custom ordered 1978 Jeep J-10 pickup for 24 years .... we currently have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue, a 2002 Chevy Tahoe, and a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer .... our hope is to keep them for many more years .... I've also ended up customizing every vehicle I've ever owned by adding things that allow it to serve us better and/or just because we want to do so .... it would surprise me greatly if we don't continue in that manner with our Elio
Fair enough. I've done my share of modifications too but never changing a dash. I will confess that I've never kept a vehicle 24 years though. Kudos to you. I'm more nomadic when it comes to vehicles.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fair enough. I've done my share of modifications too but never changing a dash. I will confess that I've never kept a vehicle 24 years though. Kudos to you. I'm more nomadic when it comes to vehicles.

my first vehicle was a '65 Jeep CJ5 .... it had a very simple single circular gauge cluster mounted to the right of the steering column in the dash .... over time I installed a tachometer, vacuum pressure gauge, and altimeter .... doing so changed its dash considerably ....on an '02 Chevy 3500 I added a turbo boost gauge, turbo temp gauge, a pressure gauge for air bags that I added, and so on .... I'd love to believe I'll live long enough to buy another Elio but realistically, we won't live long enough to buy more than one .... if we like it well enough to keep it (which I fully anticipate being the case) the dash will only be part of the mods we make

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 65 Chevy shorty van that I kept for 10 years and modified it top to bottom, front to rear and inside and out.
The way to sit in them you have to look down to see the dash; so I completely took the dash out from where it was, and split it all over the front.
The gauges like gas, oil press, oil temp, water temp and amps all went in a console I built across the top of the windshield; the Tach and Speedo were mounted on the left A pillar exactly at eye level, the ignition, the heater controls, radio/tape player (CD's weren't invented yet) were in a custom center module that blended from the original dash to the engine cover (65 Chevy had the motor between the front seats). I did my own design power windows (they were never an option in the van) and power mirrors; scavenged the parts from a caddy and a couple of GM A-bodies, plus 6 way power seat.
The way I designed it wasn't with drawings, it was from sitting in a normal driving position and putting things where they felt right and were in my site line the way I felt most comfortable. Took me 4 months to finish it. I only ran out of gas twice during that time because the gas gauge wasn't hooked up, and it was my everyday driver.

Top Bottom