• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
elio_mule4_side_drwg_small.jpg

I don't care if the old exhaust did hang down slightly beneath the vehicle like all other cars. I like it a lot better than the hernia bulge!

I know a good muffler shop that can easily install an exhaust system like this. I would then remove the hernia bulge, fill in the holes, and repaint it. This would restore the attractive lines on that side

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You only have 5.75" of ground clearance to play with though.
The exhaust pipe is small and I will risk the clearance. Perhaps there are such things as oval exhaust pipes. If the muffler is as small as in the drawings, I suspect it can be tucked somewhere in the rear wheel well, even if the swing arm is present.

The odds are I will never have a problem, but I will always be aware of the hernia bulge.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I thought there may be bolt heads showing under there, but not clear enough to be certain. THANK you for your clarity.
Here is where I see what appears to be bolt heads (the rest is too fuzzy to see clearly). Yet as a mechanic specializing in old clunkers, by default (out of necessity), THIS is an area that is typically a first to rust out and very often the most deteriorated - so this stands out to me (from decades of experience).

Jesus, that thing's about as subtle as a thumb-sized wart on your face. Hopefully they can refine it a bit more before production.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The exhaust pipe is small and I will risk the clearance. Perhaps there are such things as oval exhaust pipes. If the muffler is as small as in the drawings, I suspect it can be tucked somewhere in the rear wheel well, even if the swing arm is present.

The odds are I will never have a problem, but I will always be aware of the hernia bulge.
I still say side pipes can be cool:
850crop.jpg

and sometimes not.
sidepipe-mustang2.jpg

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is my understanding that a chrome side pipe like on the Cobra you pictured above will be an option.

Is this your estimation of have you heard or seen evidence of this?

I do think that it provides a great opportunity for after market but it would be awesome if EM has been rumoring this.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that a chrome side pipe like on the Cobra you pictured above will be an option.
Is this your estimation of have you heard or seen evidence of this?

I do think that it provides a great opportunity for after market but it would be awesome if EM has been rumoring this.

Yeah, what he said, where did you hear about a optional side pipe?

Top Bottom