• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bulge

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According to some of the ELIO staff, from the previous "gatherings", there is no concern about the heat from the exhaust/muffler.

A simple experiment to verify that statement. If you have a laser temp gun. After running your own vehicle for a while, measure the temperature at the muffler and the exhaust. No gun, then use a contact thermometer.
A lot of the newer expensive cars have the "cat", muffler, etc. covered under the car. BMW for one.
The hottest part of the exhaust will be at the exhaust manifold. Exhaust gases cool as they are pushed down the exhaust stream.

HTH
Willie

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind it I know due to the frame design there is not space for the exhaust. It does look like an after thought doesn't look very refined maybe it will be improved in the E series and ultimately the production version. I always thought the solution would be a SLR Mclaren style side exhaust.

2005_silver_Mercedes_SLR_passenger_side_exhaust.JPG

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind it I know due to the frame design there is not space for the exhaust. It does look like an after thought doesn't look very refined maybe it will be improved in the E series and ultimately the production version. I always thought the solution would be a SLR Mclaren style side exhaust.

2005_silver_Mercedes_SLR_passenger_side_exhaust.JPG

Is this a street legal car? Assuming it is and not a concept car, if this car can have the exhaust come out the side in front of the passenger compartment, then why can't the Elio. That would get rid of the bulge, greatly improve the lines, and lower cost.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this a street legal car? Assuming it is and not a concept car, if this car can have the exhaust come out the side in front of the passenger compartment, then why can't the Elio. That would get rid of the bulge, greatly improve the lines, and lower cost.

Yes its a production car and they were sold here in the US

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the first 45 seconds of the following video, IAV engineer Kody Klindt says they will probably run the exhaust down the side "like the corvette". This video was posted October 1, 2014

You can see the exhaust pipe heading to the side in the suspension pictures someone took. Its very close to the steering rack its even wrapped in exhaust heat wrap.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors should move the exhaust to the same location and get rid of the bulge!

This is an aftermarket exhaust for the SLR you can see how its routed. This is for a V8 supercar but you get the basic idea a much smaller version for the .9L 3 way banger.
RENNtech_slr_exhaust_package_header_muffler_007.jpg

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The P5 is a beautiful vehicle except for the ugly bulging exhaust. I assumed regulations required the exhaust come out the back, but the above posts indicate this is not true. The exhaust can exit at the front of the vehicle.

Elio Motors should poll its reservationist, providing two CAD drawings of what the vehicle looks like with front and rear exhaust, and ask which one they prefer.. The two CAD drawings would show the exhaust exit in the rear with the bulge, and also show the exhaust exit close to the front with no bulge, restoring the body lines.

Top Bottom